1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How i cam out to my speech class xD

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Beachboi92, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Beachboi92

Narrative Speech

I’m going to tell you a story. It is not about a particular person, the person in the story does not even necessarily have to be a boy or a girl. For our purposes we could say that it could have been you, or the person next to you, it could have been me, or millions of other kids born in the United States.
    Now our story starts when this person is a kid, they are born into a seemingly average family and everything seems well. They go about their lives as most average children do; however for them something feels different. They don’t know exactly what it is, nor do they understand why they are any different. As a child they are simply accepting of the world, confident that all things are in their place as they are meant to be. But the innocence and naivness of childhood does not stick with them, only the feeling of difference. By middle school this child likely understands a little bit more about themselves. However they will not accept the fact that they are any different. Every child wants to fit in, they crave acceptance, they want to have friends, to feel part of something. And so they decide they are not different, they are the same as any other child and they shove that uneasy feeling down, and attempt to continue life with little understanding of what this feeling is.
    But this feeling is not something that can simply be dispelled, dropped, or wished away. It haunts them, it always seems to show no matter how much denial they are in. And so this child grows angry, at the world at their family, they shut themselves off from them, they attempt to reconcile what this is, alone, and finally drop into a depression. A depression that was 6 times less likely to occur in another child, a depression that affects their ability to do well in school, to make friends. It inhibits them from that regular High school life. It likely take some time before they finally come to a point where they accept what is different about them and begin the process of pursuing happiness once again.
    However this is not an easy process, some friend’s stop talking to them, others pretend they never knew them. There are whispers and taunts, one kids waits outside their class to make fun of them. Another does so when this child opens the door for them. The kid is surrounded with insults, ways to say there is something wrong with them, and even when they are not directed at them, the child feels a discomfort or a sting with each one said. That kid that waited outside the child’s class now feels confident enough to make a physical attack on the kid after repeated incidents of verbal harassment. Even in class the child’s teachers often make comments that seem almost directed at the student.
    Over the course of this the kid’s GPA drops by about .5, they begin skipping school at an alarmingly high rate, with all of this trouble they feel they will no longer be going to college. Finally their parents hear about all of this, not just the bullying but everything. Why their kid is being bullied. The response is that they send their kid away to a camp, here the child undergoes several experimental “therapies” to make them normal. In the end they leave with only psychological trauma, at school the bullying and harassment continues, and the depression worsens, they begin seeking an outlet via drugs. In some cases it means drinking in others it means drugs like cocaine or meth. They finally decide to drop out of school, they run away from home, from parents who they feel do not love them.
    In order to survive they turn to prostitution, not just to live but to support their drug habits. They now make up part of a group, a group that composes 40% of homeless youth. Finally they commit suicide, being part of a group of children that is 8.4 times more likely to do so, this child identifies as LGBT.
    They felt different because they where attracted to the same sex, the words that they hear yelled at them outside classes and in hallways where dyke, and faggot, their family told them they where going to hell that they had to be saved, the teachers made comments about how being LGBT was weird not knowing 10% of the children in their class where likely LGBT another 28% where likely to have an LGBT relative or friend. Some parts of this story are mine, others are shared by millions of children every day. Kids who will never get to grow up, who never chose to face this hardship. Kids who hear insults on average 30 times a day, kids who are part of a group that faces in school violence against 30% of its population and who make up 40% of the homeless youth. Kids who are 6 times more likely to suffer from depression, 8.4 times more likely to take their own life, and the whole time are part of a group that makes up 10% of the worlds population equaling about 700 million people.

A couple people got teary eyed and one person came up to me and said "i know how it feels to be part of that story i really like it." so hopefully i made some sort of impact xD

---------- Post added 15th Sep 2010 at 03:41 PM ----------

btw it was a speech and i only had a notecard to write on so i couldn't read this word for word and it was a little different xD

2. Chandra

It is so important for people to hear this kind of message. Well done.

3. Darkwing65

That was awesome!

4. Jeremy

I really, really like that story! It definitely creates an impact. :grin:

5. Andrew1403

Andrew1403 Guest

wow..that speech was pretty DEEP! good work :thumbsup::eusa_clap

6. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    wooo well done!!! That took gutts.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    An extremely well written speech, on an important topic, and presented in a way that it's hard for anyone to not "get it" unless they're a complete moron.

I think you should think about making it into a youtube video and putting it up for people to hear. I bet it would get some traffic :slight_smile:

8. Connor22

game set and match, mind if I use bits and pieces for my presentation in a few weeks? it would help a lot cus that was a brilliant speech

9. Beachboi92

yeah its free if you want to use pieces, and i may actually do it as a youtube video now that you suggest it xD
    Thank you for comments made my day :slight_smile:

10. Beachboi92

i just created a facebook page would be cool to get that to spread around prob do a youtube post next xD

---------- Post added 16th Sep 2010 at 10:44 PM ----------

oh crap i missed the ending i had on it xD

What if that was you, what if that trait they where made fun of even hated for was, being a jock, having blonde hair, blue eyes, being a nerd, wearing glasses, liking rap music, being straight.

11. Eleanor Rigby

This is a wonderful speech and it was very very coureageous of you to do such a thing.
    Thanks a lot for sharing. (*hug*)

12. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    WOW, that drug up a lot of old feeling. You really hit the nail on the head there.
    Good stuff

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish I could have had such a passionate speech about being gay for my speech class last year, but I suppose mine more came from my persuasive speech about Prop 8 and Homophobia.

14. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    There are not alot of things that can make me tear, this however was extremely well written and no person with any type of soul could read that and not feel anything,

great job !

15. Frer3

We should get a team of people to read different parts of it. Then, graft it all together into one video, post it on youtube, get it out into the world. Hell, I'd do it.

16. x2x2x2x2y2

I'd be happy to do it too.

17. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Awsome :slight_smile:

Yeah you should get put it on the EC channel and ask one of the lbgt group channels to help spread it.