1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

baby steps have become giant steps

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by radgal, Sep 25, 2007.

1. radgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Last time I wrote I had only come out to my kids. Now the whole damn town knows. :eusa_clap (!) My daughters boyfriend outed me to his friends this weekend and my other daughter has told all her friends last weekend. Their trying to hook me up. So i would say they are alright with it. Now to tell my mother. I tested the water with her last month. NOT GOOD. :eek: But 10-11-07 I am out to everyone including her. Just how to do that is the question. HELP? Need advice from other late (42) bloomers.

2. JSG

JSG Guest

Thats great news !!! I'm glad to hear that !!
    As for advice coming out to your mother, seeing as your much older than me, I'll best leave that to somebody else...

I hope all goes well !!

3. TriBi

Late bloomer?

Blooming very quickly by the sound of things! :icon_bigg

Great news that your kids are so cool with it...not sure I can give you any advice on your Mom tho'...but best of luck. (*hug*)

4. Grof142007

Yeaya im join u on 10-11-07 to being compelty out =) 14 days

5. LorenzG1950

Hi radgal,

I'm one of those late bloomers but my parents are no longer alive. My challenge was with my brother and sister and other relatives who live in the states.

If you already know that the waters are chilly as far as your mom is concerned, a carefully-worded letter is probably the best route. But don't just give her a hasty draft. Write, revise, sleep on it and then start to go final. I think I needed about 5 versions before I hit the send button.

In my case it worked out very well. Wish you the same. :goodluck:

6. xxAngelOnFirexx

congrats! its not an easy feat. i'm glad everything seems to be working out for you so far.

7. Tom

Tom Guest

wow i wish i had kids tht tried to hook me up, well mabe not the kids part yet but mabe one day if i find the right guy hu knows, and tbh dont u think being outed was more stressful but easier than tellin ppl? so in a way its gd tht they did tht but comin out to ur mum, thts always the hardest. esp after 42 years where all of her suspicions, if she had any, wud of evaporated but ull do itwhen the time feels right

8. Sam

Sam

wow thats great! all I can say is say whats in your heart when you tell your mom seeing as in her generation it really wasn't talked about much I really wish the best for you. give her time after you tell her its probably not going to be easy for her at first but I'm sure that if she loves you then she'll continue to love you just as much. good luck!

9. Louise

I would say go to resources, there are loads of interesting things that can help you to prepare the ground for your mother and help you understand what she will go through. Maybe get her some books that will explain the grieving process many parents go through when they first find out or find a support group near you that you can talk to her about.

If everyone else knows except your mum, this could be quite hurtful to her, she might feel foolish and that everyone has been talking behind her back about you.

I don't say this to push you into telling her, you must do that in your own time when you feel ready but it is something you might want to take into consideration.

Good luck :smilewave

10. Jim1454

Congrats!

I agree with Louise - you're mom should know if everyone else does. I'm holding off telling some folks, just because I think my mom and dad have a right to know next.

But getting set up by friends and family? That's great! There's no better referal, and no better sign of acceptance!

I'm so thankful and happy that my ex is comfortable with the thought of me seeing someone, and is interested in how his life is unfolding (as he's in the process of separating from his wife also because he's gay...)