1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out at a goodbye party... Couldn't have gone better! :D

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Owen91, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Owen91

Owen91 Guest

The other night, me and two of my friends were had a little goodbye get-together since we're all three leaving this week for college. One of my friends is a girl and the other is a (straight) boy.

I came out to her about two months ago, she was so supportive, I love her. : ) But I haven't ever mentioned it to my other friend even though he and I been like, best friends since kindergarten. I dunno, it just never really came up since I've started coming out to people and I didn't really know how he'd take it. He doesn't have a ton of other really close friends so I thought he could possibly be like, "Oh, god, my best friend's a fag? Shit." and ditch me or something. Since we're both going to separate colleges he could easily stop talking to me as soon as we left the party.

Anyways, while we're at this goodbye get-together, we start debating about one mutual friends' possible sexuality. I say, "Oh, he's totally gay. Never had a girlfriend, even though he's a total stud and basically owned our high school. Plus, he loves his body and always looks really sharply dressed." (I'm not trying to stereotype here. Not all gays are like this, I know. But I had to say something other than, "My gaydar blows up when he and I talk.")

And my girl friend comments, "But you don't love your body." (I'm basically a twig. I run, but my upper body's a joke. Hooray for looking anorexic. Here's to hoping I gain the freshman 15. : P )

It took a couple seconds, but finally my guy friend smiles and says, "Oh yeah. I still haven't actually been told about that." (Referring, of course to the fact that I myself am gay.)

So the cat was out of the bag. I was like, oh yeah. About that. He was so cool about it, though. He said that someone had already mentioned it to him like a month ago because they assumed he already knew. He told me, "It's not a big deal, I don't care or anything," and the amazing part is, he's PROVEN that he doesn't care because in the time between when someone outed me to him and the time that we actually talked about it, we've hung out MULTIPLE times. Like, literally NOTHING changed, he still texted me asking if I was free to hang out.

I just feel so proud of him and our friendship. I didn't think he'd be so mature and accepting, but he's shown what an amazing friend he is. I sure was lucky to meet and befriend him 13 years ago. : )

2. Flare

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's fantastic! :slight_smile: I love when people surprise you. Not one of my straight guy friends had a problem with it and I couldn't believe it. Makes you feel great and that you definitely picked the right friends.

3. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

That's awesome! (!)(!) Friends are awesome. I love the "Oh yeah. I still haven't actually been told about that." :eusa_clap

4. asp3310

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That really is awesome! Your friend seems to be a really nice guy, and it was so thoughtful of him not to put any pressure on you to tell him. :icon_bigg

5. Eleanor Rigby

That's awesome :slight_smile: Congratulations (*hug*)

6. AlyssWonderland

I love that! :slight_smile: Congrats!

7. confused102188

I was soooo scared to come out to my best straight friend that I waited forever. When I told him he had no idea but since I told him he has been my absolute biggest support even being my wing man at gay bars lol. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

8. peaceandlies

great for you. people are better than you give em credit for

9. x2x2x2x2y2

Awww, that's great. Congrats!! :slight_smile:

10. otc877

otc877 Guest

Glad it went well. My coming out was similar... I hated telling people because by the time I did they had already heard. I always felt like they were just patronizing me

11. Zero Beat

Yay :slight_smile: I'm glad it went well :grin: Congratz

12. Owen91

Owen91 Guest

Thanks so much, you guys!

Even though we're both at college now, about an hour and a half apart, me and my straight friend still facebook and text and it's not weird at all. :slight_smile: