1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to family pt 1

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Walolas, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Walolas

So I wasn't expecting to make a post about coming out to family for a bit but something just happend that I want to record while it is still fresh in my head. Ok heres the story:

My brother who went of to basic training after catching the family house on fire is back this week visiting my family with his new wife before they move out to North Dakota where he will be stationed. Well last night I went out to a nearby agly (alliance of gay and lesbian youth) for 2 hours. As I was leaving he asked me where I was going. All I said was "places" and left.

When I got back home he asked me again so I told him "A youth group I found at a nearby church". I then went to my room for the night and thought the discussion over.

This morning my mom took myself, my brother, and his wife out for breakfast. While there he started asking more about the youth group. "So is it a christian youth group or just a regular youth group."

I responded, "It isn't a christian youth group but it is a specific one."

He said cool and then made a few jokes about what it might of been about. Then his wife asked what the group was called. I told them the name and what it stood for. They said cool and just went onto a different topic and their meal when it arrived. I of course was sitting there waiting for the, I would of assumed, inevitable question to arrive but it never did. I sat there eating my food, with a tingling sensation all throughout my body and my hands slightly shaking to the point I decided to eat with only one hand to maybe makeit less noticable.

This is probably the biggest hint I have ever dropped to my family and either they really don't care which I wouldn't mind or they are completely oblivious which I highly doubt.

Don't really know when but I am kinda expecting the question to be asked soon now from this so pt 2 will probably be posted soon if they ask. Otherwise I will just ignore it and continue on with my plan of not telling them until I am 21 or I find someone that I wouldn't want to hide.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They know. I don't think Captain Obvious could have said it more clearly.

My guess is they probalby already knew, and I think their not bringing it up is being respectful to you because they sense your nervousness about the subject and not wanting to discuss it.

So.... I think you can relax. :slight_smile: But if they do bring it up, just go with it. Being out to your family will be a really good thing once it's done, and you'll feel an incredible weight off of your shoulders.

3. Walolas

Oh I am already calm. Just at the time I was shaking cause I THOUGHT they were gonna ask and I would of had to talk about it at the resturant. I don't however think they believe I am gay. They might think I am just going there to meet more people and maybe deal with my mom dating a MtF trans even though I had been living with him for about a year now and I really didn't show any signs of caring what he did as long as he was happy cause that made my mom happy.

4. peaceandlies

i told my parents i was at gay pride all day and it didn't click. until you just say 'dad, im gay' then nothing will happen.

great going though, hope you get the courage to come out soon.

5. Walolas

I got an update I will post soon. Tried to post during break at work but iPhone sucks at post editing lol.

6. Walolas

Ok here it is:

Last night my mom and her boyfriend went out to dinner to a new chinese place and invited me along. While there they asked me how work was going and what not. Then my mom brought up the youth group and I told the boyfriend about it. They seemed slightly interested but I don't think it even dawned on them I was going cause I am gay. My mom's response was "Well at least you can meet new people there." I am thinking she believes I am going to make new friends and thats it.

And about having the courage to come out, I only needed that with the first person I told. I can tell anyone now whenever I feel like I want to or they ask. I am just not informing my family out of respect for my mother atm because I believe she has enough to worry about. She is the type of person to worry about everything and she has a lot on her plate already to deal with. I am 99.99999% sure she will be accepting and not treat me any differently but I also don't want her to risk going through the stages of loss like other parents have (from what I have read online here) because she needs to focus on her own things atm.

I was thinking about taking my brother out tonight with his new wife for a late wedding gift in the form of a dinner paid for by yours truely and telling him while out. He has been wanting to mend our relationship ever since he entered basic training and I would kinda use this to test how much he really wants to stay in my life. I am almost to the point where I want to just write him out of my life for good because most of my memories with him havn't been good.

7. darkcheesse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    never cut family off completely, when thier is no one left you can always rely on them, ive got the same situation with my sister, i wish she was out of my life completly but i know if that was true at some point i would end up regreting it