1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Morgan55, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Morgan55

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ...Get ready to read people...

So any of you who read my message on the welcome forum know that I planned to come out to my mom last night, and I did. Overall, I'd have to say it was better than I feared and worse than I had hoped, so pretty much it was what I had expected--the worst best moment of my life.

It was pretty late. She was getting ready to unwind and I told her not to. There was a huge build up, a really long pause and then I asked her if she had any idea what it was I had to tell her ... and nothing. Then I just blurted it out and it was kinda like something smacked her in the face. Her head shot back and she just kind of stared at me which KILLED me--I had no idea what to do. I basically told her its not something I decided on out of the blue, it's something that had been weighing on my mind for the last couple of years, etc. etc. She said she didn't want my life to be more complicated than it had to be, and that she didn't want me to close off all possibilities, which I totally understand, but I told her that has nothing to do with it. In retrospect I should have said something along the lines of "I don't want my life to be complicated either that's my I'm simplifying it" and that "closing off possibilities for real happiness is what I have been doing my entire life," but what can ya do? Hindsight's always 20/20.

Then she was really quiet and I asked her what she was thinking, was she sad, angry, upset, confused, etc. becuase she wasn't crying which I had really expected because she cries at everything, so that threw me off--the fact that she wasn't crying may seem like a good thing, but believe me, it's not. She said she still loved me, to which I replied, "you'd better still love me, or I'd be really pisssed off with you" which may sound over the top, but that's the way I am...blunt and cuttingly honest when I don't have time to process my thoughts. I figure it's a good thing I said that though becuase in addition to just telling her that I'm the same person I've always been, it kind of gave her some evidence. She kind of smiled, but it wasn't anything that really raised my spirits, or hers I don't think (I know that whole scenario may sound bizarre to some, but it is what it is). I was quiet for a little longer so I asked her to say something, anything but she couldn't, which I can understand.

Then we just sat there in the living room for the next 15 minutes with the tv on while she did some busy work. Then I kissed her goodnight, went to bed and kind of under my breath (but with every intention of her hearing) told her that I hoped she felt better in the morning, which I knew wasn't going to happen. The next morning my mom showed me and my dad off to work and that was that...she was quiet, but it was 7am, so it could have been because of that.

So that's how it was for me. I'm back from work and she's at a meeting so I prob won't see her til tomorrow night, so at least she's preoccupied. I feel bad becuase I know this makes her sad and that's the last thing I want, but for me to expect her to stop being sad would be like her expecting me to stop being gay. No matter how much we want eachother to do what we want, it can't happen just becuase we want it to. It's like I feel worse for her than she does for me, but there's no way for her to ever understand the complexities of that.

In the end I want her to love me for the real me, not the ideal me and I'd rather she be unhappy with the truth than ecstatic with the lie.

I wish I were happier that I told her, but I think I'm as happy as I can be. I want closure and coming out to my mom hasnt' given me that, but that's ok. I still have a lot of things to deal with, but at least coming out to my mom isn't one of them anymore.

...And that's the story, but not the end...

2. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

You're going to feel much better about coming out to her in the next few days, don't worry. And from what you've said so far, it doesn't seem like she's too angry or upset. Anyway, Good Luck!

3. Hydrogen

Congrats. Your mom seems to have taken it well considering, and it will only get better.

4. Grof142007

Umm wow what a read hopefully she will understand it later on =)

5. SpikySpice

Well, pst your back, that was very brave of you, awesome job

Just give her time, she'll get used to it, and she loves you still

6. Kibuki kid

Shes your mother she'll come around after she sit withut for a few days. Dont worry (*hug*) she will definately love the real you, parents love their children unconditionally, why else would they change our diapers for so long?

7. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

Well congrats on coming out to your mom.Could of been worse!I hope she comes to understand you!

8. Louise

Give your mum a bit of time, there are plenty of resources out there to help her come to terms with this. It is a huge shock. My son came out to me about 2 months ago and I am only just picking myself up off the floor. I can do this because I have help... from the stories I read here, from Becky, from friends that have reached out to me recently, and of course I love him to bits.

One of the hardest things I had to do was to 'bury' the image I had in my head of my son. I grief for my little boy lost. The ideas and hopes I had for him were based on presumptions which were not true. I felt like a rug had been pulled out from under me.

Your mum is maybe going through all this, give her lots of love and a bit of time, maybe get her some resourses.

Apparently the big thing with mum's (I have done some research) is guilt, tell her, and prove to her with articles and books that this isn't her fault, no one is to BLAME, it just is how it is.

Closure is not necessarily a door slaming shut, it can also be doors sliding gently shut in their own time. Hang in there, it will get better. :kiss:

9. Daniel6

Congrats to your coming out. Can you keep us updated since i want to come out to my mom too but i don't know how she might react.
    I hope everything will be fine for you and your mom
    Good luck (*hug*)

10. pirateninja

First of all, I pat you on the back for being able to tell her. It is a hard thing to do, but considering, your mom seems to have taken it pretty well. But it may take a while for her to fully come to terms with it but you'll feel better about it in the long run.

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I think Louise's advice is spot on.

Have a look at this Parent/Family Stages of Grief thread too, which may help to explain what she is starting to go through.

If you need some PFLAG literature for her, ask beckyg (send her a PM) as I'm sure she would be pleased to get some mailed to you.

12. paul7836

Congrats on coming out to your mom. She seems to have taken it well.

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yes, I will happily do that! Please just keep in mind that you have had two years or more to figure out who you are. Your mom, if she was totally unsuspecting, is going to have to take some time to adjust. Give her that time. Be patient. Educate her. Talk to her. Let her know that you love her! Keep her informed on what is happening with your life. We are not afraid of things we know. So allow your mom to be involved in your life. Talk to her about potential boyfriends, that type of thing.