1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came Out To Parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Lebowski45, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Lebowski45

I managed to finally do it this morning. I'd decided last night I was going to try and do it this morning, because I knew I'd be alone with them for a few hours, then I was working so it meant I could get away for a bit. I told my mum first and she totally accepted it, it was such a relief. She asked a few questions, and reassured me it was ok and she loved me nomatter what. Then, I had to tell my dad. I thought he wouldn't take the news so well but he actually took it a lot better than I thought. He was a bit shocked at first but then he hugged me and told me he loved me too.......so all in all it went really well. More than anything, I just feel utter relief that its over, and that I could finally be honest with them. I feel as if I can tell anyone now, cause nomatter what happens my family are behind me.

I want to thank everyone on here who's helped me, I owe you all. I don't think its any coincidence that I went so long struggling with my sexuality, and suffering as a result, to finally coming to terms with it and being open about it shortly after joining this site. I just feel so much at peace with myself now.

I took a lot of inspiration from hearing other people's stories about coming out, but still I thought "that's them, I could never do that". At times I couldn't see any future, and life was utterly depressing, and being in the closet left me feeling trapped. Over the years I felt like I could never get out of the rut. Nowhere to turn, and no-one to speak to about it except the inside of my mind, day in, day out, year in, year out. And yet, in the end I made it. I've finally told the people that I care about most and they accepted it, because in the end it doen't matter what you are, it's how you are as a person, that's what most people care about. If someone loves you, it won't matter to them, and that's what I've learned. Even if I am to face rejection from someone at some point (which is always a possibility) then I don't want to know that person anyway. I care about the people I love, my family and my friends. And if they love you, then they'll accept you. So there's always a light at the end of the tunnel, and I'm just glad I finally found it :slight_smile:

2. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

WOOP! Congrats! Told you they would be fine with it!

3. confused102188

Congratulations!! You are absolutely right about this website! It helped me out of the closet to some of my friends and next it will be my family!

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's fantastic! I'm so glad that you had the courage to tell them, and that they responded so positively. I'm sure it's a big relief for you :slight_smile:

5. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Wow, that sounded like it went great!!! I'm so happy for you :slight_smile:

That paragraph at the end was also very inspiring.

6. matty123

heyy, congrats :slight_smile:

7. x2x2x2x2y2

Congrats!! That's great. :slight_smile:

8. peaceandlies

yep. this site helped me come out too. read all of the current stories, all the letters, everything. then i just did it.

Well done. thats great.

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Congratulations!

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! I know it took a long time, but congrats dude :slight_smile:

11. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well done,you must feel so good right now,friends will be easy now youve got this out of the way.

12. Lebowski45

Thanks everyone! :grin: Yeah I feel good, and hopefully over the next week I'll get the chance to tell my other brother and some remaining friends, doesn't feel like an issue anymore. Everyone else can find out from others, or if they ask me or something, I don't feel the need to tell every person I know, because its largely irrelevant what I am. Just feels nice not to hide anymore :slight_smile:

13. TriBi

Yay! Well done. :grin:

14. Echo02

Echo02 Guest

Congrats, the younger people tell the better for everyone. I delayed accepting myself for so long. I am happy you are full open now. Good luck with all your friends, the ones who love you will be fine.

15. Eleanor Rigby

That's fantastic (*hug*) I am so proud of you ! I know you had a hard time with this and I am so happy for you that everything went well and that you feel relieved.
    I'm happy we've been able to help but YOU did it, and I know it took you a lot of courage. You can be proud of you.
    Many (*hug*), Cécile

16. kettlkorn

17. AlyssWonderland

Congrats! For me, coming out to my parents was the hardest, so YAY, all the worst is behind you now :slight_smile:

18. Lebowski45

Thank you all so much for all your kind words :slight_smile:

19. asp3310

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, congratulations! I feel very happy for you. I hope everything goes as smoothly when I tell my parents as well. You have really nice parents! Good on them! :slight_smile:

20. biisme

I'm so happy for you about your parents' reactions!! Congratulations!