1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my coming out story

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by LImatt, Sep 27, 2007.

1. LImatt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I posted here back in June when I was finally able to come out to myself and accept myself being gay. Reading the stories on here helped me a great deal with my coming out so I hope by posting mine I can help out at least one other person.

This past July, me and my mom were talking around a fire in my backyard. She started bring up why I don't find a girlfriend. It took all my courage but I just flat out said I'm Gay. I knew she would be accepting, but I never talk about personal stuff with my parents so it was tough. She was cool with it, said she had always suspected it. She told me my Dad once said long ago that if I was gay he didn't want to know about it. I have a great relationship with him, and I know he wouldn't hate me or anything, its just the way he is. He doesn't like dealing with personal issues and prefers to to ignore things like that. So thats something I'll have to deal with in the future, but no big worries for me there.

So now, this year I entered my junior year of college. My first time back at school confident in being gay. Now on to telling my friends. I've made great friends but its a solidly straight group, constant gay jokes and all. I moved into a house of seven of us, 2 of which are frat guys. The first month here was great but the feeling that I had to tell them kept growing. I'm a real quiet guy which made it even harder. Every second was spent thinking about the possible reactions from completely being cool with it to having to find a new place to live.

This past weekend we decided to make it a jaeger weekend. For those that don't know, jaegermeister is a drink that tastes like candy and makes you drunk as shit. It was a classic college party night, and at the end me and 2 of my housemates that I've known the longest were enjoying a cigarette on the front porch. In my drunk mind I finally decided to get it over with. As they were walking in I said guys sit down, I'm gay. After the initial surprise they were awesome about it and ended up asking me hours of questions to which I was happy to answer. The confidence I felt was like no other feeling.

So that was 2 down many more to go. The next night was a party at some girls that we're friends withs house. With the Jaeger boost in me, I told everyone I know one by one with the support of those who knew around me. With each new person, I had more supprt by my side. At the end of the night the majority of my friends knew and were all 100% cool with it. All were shocked cuz im real "straight acting".

I feel like I can live my life to the fullest now and im closer than I ever have been with my friends. Everyone freely makes gay jokes, with no uncomfortableness (I'm cool with friends making em cuz i know its meant as a joke).

The main thing I learned was that many people have ideas of how they feel about gays. But a strong friendship easily overcomes those feelings.

2. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

great story,cool that your mom and some friends are cool with it!

3. Louise

Good for you, I am really happy that it went well for you!(!)

4. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whooohoo!! Congrats! :eusa_clap

I'm getting more and more convinced of this too. :eusa_danc

5. Jim1454

Good for you! I'm so happy for you - that you've been able to start living that 'authentic' life now - and not putting it off. That's SO awesome!