1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out to roommate/friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by foofighter, Oct 10, 2010.

1. foofighter

I wasn't really planning on coming out to him for a few weeks but for the first time ever I came out to someone without previously planning it. He was really cool about it. I knew he would be because we've talked about gay rights and politics. Even though he's raised from a really socially conservative family, he is really libertarian and an open atheist (but not to his parents).

The story begins when we went out to eat with a guy friend, who brought his girlfriend. I have previously talked to my roommate about how I don't really like this girl, and tonight she was just really pissing me off. She ignores me for the first few minutes and then randomly turns to me, looks at me, and says "what happened to you?" I was like, "umm is something wrong with my face?" Nothing was wrong, she was just trying to screw with me for some weird reason.

Then when I dropped her and her boyfriend off at their dorm, before she got out of the car she started talking about how one of her guy friends "protected" her earlier from a group of gay guys. Then she talked about how sad it was these gay guys were so hot and could not be interested in her. "Its just so sad…" she kept saying. When she got out of the car and closed the door I just blew up in front of my roommate. I cussed and hit my steering wheel. I was more furious than I had ever been and my roommate has never seen me anywhere close to that mad. So I felt that I needed to explain myself to him because I caused that much of a scene. I just told him, "There's something you need to know. I didn't want to make this a big deal but I'm gay. She just made me so mad with what she was saying…"

I apologized to him though about the way I acted. I told him I shouldn't have acted that way and I was embarrassed the way I handled the situation. But he was cool and he says it's not that big of a deal and that I had the right to be angry. Nothing's changed between us, but I don't think he really wants to talk about this. I don't blame him though. I'm really proud of him and I feel lucky I have such an understanding roommate.

It feels good to be out to him. I think subconsciously I will be happier and more myself here at college. I also think tonight has helped me with my confidence and will help me come out to my parents this weekend. I do feel bad about the way I acted. I realize I need to learn to ignore comments like that in the future. It's just infuriating now to hear that kind of talk when I'm in the process of coming out.

2. x2x2x2x2y2

Congrats!! :slight_smile:

Like he said, you had a right to be angry. Don't feel too bad about getting really mad over it.