1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving abroad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by gaius, Oct 11, 2010.

1. gaius

gaius Guest

I've recently gone to austria to do a placement as an english teacher, while this is very fun, and I'm out to all the teachers who are english speakers, am also feeling like i've been pushed back into the closet and have to start over...has anyone else had a similar problem.

2. knight of ni

Hello,

I know what you mean. I've just moved from a uni in Scotland to one in England, and I'm not out to anyone down here except for the uni LGBT society (so far!).
    In one sense, it is like being back in the closet and having to start over, because almost everyone you interact with on a daily basis doesn't know you're gay, so you have a feeling of having to do the whole coming out thing all over again.

On the other hand, its really just like any time you meet new people in Lancaster. They don't know, and you get to decide how/when/if to tell them. Main difference is that the people you're meeting are in Austria. I think the most important thing is that you are (I'm guessing) out and proud in Lancaster, with plenty of supportive friends. Remember that you're still out to them; you're not back to square one!

I don't know how long you're in Austria for, but even if you do feel like you're back in the closet, my personal advice would be not to worry about it. I've had a couple of summer jobs where I didn't tell any co-workers I was gay, despite being out to my friends, family, etc. They were people I was working with for a couple of weeks, and it wasn't relevant. Yes, technically I was 'back in' but because I was out to all of the people who mattered, it didn't bother me at all.

Hope that helps!

3. gaius

gaius Guest

Yeah actually that does help! sorry for the rant there, guess i was just feeling a bit down, thanks for the reply you've really cheered me up!