1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am officially the world's BIGGEST idiot

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by excuseyou77, Oct 2, 2007.

1. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi, newbie here. *waves*

*sorry, long post ahead. you may want to get some coffee*

Well, it finally happened. Today, October 2, 2007. And I feel like the world's biggest idiot.

I've been doing a lot of thinking and soul searching for the past week or so about myself, and I figured that it's finally time to tell my mother two very important things about my life.

The first thing is that, I've enjoyed writing ever since I was a sophomore in high school. And now overtime, I've discovered very much more that I don't want to do this as just a hobby anymore. I want to make a career out of it.

I've never been out to my mother. I knew that she was always hoping that I'd eventually start a family and everything, and I've hated possibly leading her on to false hopes like that. And while I knew that she's comfortable with homosexuality as a whole (I've known this since about a year or two before I myself shortly realized who I am), sometimes I would get vibes that she wasn't comfortable with the idea of her own son possibly being gay. There weren't many signs, but I saw a couple. Which is why I never said anything about it.

But recently, I figured that it's time I stop lying and shutting her out about my life. I'm going to be 22 years old in a few weeks. She's the person in my family that I am the closest to, and I can't hide forever. And it's not fair for me to, in a sense, wear a mask to my closest family member, and be in denial, and masquerade with a woman just to make her happy. Ever since I realized the truth and was able to tell myself that I am gay, I made a pact with myself that I would never do that. It's not fair to me, it's not fair to my mom, and it's not fair to the woman, whoever she'd be.

Earlier tonight, I came into her room. I had been crying before because I was so scared.

Well, I walked in and the fact that I avoided her since she came home, and according to my tone of voice she could tell something was clearly up. I tried to make some small talk, by asking her how she thought dinner was. It was a pasta bake with meat sauce. She liked it. Well then I sat down next to her, and I was so nervous. I told her that I had two important things to tell her. The first thing, about what I wanted to do as a career, I knew she was gonna be happy about that. That part I wasn't worried about.

The second thing... well, this is where I was on the verge of tears (again), as I said "I need you to know that you'll always love me." And she reassured me by telling me she always will no matter what. So I told her, "the second thing is that.. *long pause* I'm gay."

And she was like.. "and......, duh." She's fine with it. She still loves me. And she also told me she knew ahead of time. She said she's known for a while. "I'm a mother, I'm pretty smart you know." I couldn't believe it. I gave her the biggest hug I probably have ever given her. And then we talked. I told her I'm sorry I didn't tell her sooner and she said it was okay. And we talked about other things too, it was really nice.

For years, if I told her, I had been expecting a lot of tears, arguments, and "where did I go wrong as a parent?", and if there's one thing I hate, I mean really hate, it's seeing someone close to me cry, especially someone important to me like my mother. About 25% of me thought she might say she went wrong somewhere, since my dad has never chosen to voluntarily be a part of our lives, I've never met him. But I should have known better. It was the fear taking over my thoughts, I suppose. My internal horror was taking over my rational thoughts. And it literally drove me insane. That's never a good thing.

Another big thing why this was so scary for me was that this marks the first time ever in my life that I have ever verbally told anyone that I'm gay. In other instance with the few people I've told, it was either in a note, I simply answered "yes," or the conversation was "understood."

I was so scared for the life of me that this would go horribly. And it didn't. Now, if I've gotten any tears left, they're tears of joy. It went perfectly fine. And now I'm wondering "did this really happen? It did. It did happen!"

And that is why I feel like the world's biggest idiot. And, hey, it's actually really a good feeling.

2. Casey17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congratulations. That sounds awesome. I can only hope it goes as well when I come out to my mom.

3. Sam

Sam

Welcome to EC! Congrats on coming out to your mom! I am really happy for you.

4. Torture

Torture Guest

Congrats on coming out to you're mom! (p.s, welcome to EC).

5. Level N Human

Welcome, congrats, and you're no idiot.

..Don't steal my title.

6. Louise

Good for you, well done (!)

Your mum is probably feeling really proud of you and honoured that you trusted her enought to talk to her.

You should feel proud of yourself as well, you have just done what is probably going to be the hardest thing that you have will ever have to do, and you came through with flying colours. You have a truely wonderful mum as well. I am really happy for your both. :slight_smile:

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I am so PROUD of you!!!

You are not an idiot at all. We all have these irrational thoughts. I appreciate you sharing that here because it gives others courage to come out to their parents. You know, even at 45 years old, its tough to see our parents cry! I remember my mom showing up at my house the day after my son came out to her all in tears. It's very hard but she has been great. You know, we just worry that somebody may treat you unfairly. We want to protect you from harm and that is the most of our worries. Be happy!!!

8. Grof142007

Congrats =)

9. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

congrats on coming out to your mom and welcome

10. Tom

Tom Guest

congrats ann welcome 2 ec and becky i know tht its ur parents wrst fear ur gona be treated unfairly for bein gay, its the only problem tht my family has with my sexuality because they want the best for me and they i wont hide the fact im gay just for a job or a uni placement w/e. i think its the same with all parents, well i hope it is anyway

11. Gera-Kun

OMG! That's SOOOO GREAT!!!!! XD XD XD

12. Jim1454

Welcome to EC from Jim in Toronto!

Congrats on coming out to your mom! I don't see you as an idiot - we all have fears about 'coming out' to people close to us. I'm contemplating doing the same thing - and I'm really nervous about it - at the age of 36! Good job. You've inspired me to follow through with my plans. My parents are back from a month long vacation, and I'm going to see them for the first time since they left this coming weekend. My intention is to tell them then.

13. panda

Congrats! Very brave!Not an idiot!You are my hero!!

14. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I hope it goes well for you.

Thank you guys for all the kind words and the warm welcome. I really genuinely appreciate it.

15. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you. I am very happy. I swear, this is the happiest I have ever felt. It felt to me like I was back in school, and there was a test I had to take that I was not ready for, and I was so worried that I had failed. Then not only do I find out that I did decently on it in the end, but I also passed with flying colors.

16. rorotherara

rorotherara Guest

WOOOOO!
    Excellente! Mothers know best after all! ^.^

17. gabriel1

gabriel1 Guest

I found that parents are pretty smart, and for some reasons Moms seem to know these things long before they get told. Moms out there, your feedback on this?

18. Louise

Well I can't really say that I saw it coming with my son. I could feel that something wasn't right for several years but my son kept all his anguish well hidden. I thought it was all part of adolescent moodiness.

Sorry but on that one I fail miserably :icon_sad:

19. Jim1454

I'm sure you're making up for it Louise! You certainly are here in our books! :thumbsup:

20. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That's exactly what I was thinking!