1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's been a year. Time for some thank you's

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by KneeDragger, Oct 31, 2010.

1. KneeDragger

My coming out journey started one year ago yesterday. It was then that I first told my wife that I was gay. In the past year, I've come out to my kids, parents, sister, my in-laws, all of my close friends, and a few trusted co-workers. My wife and I have separated and are in the process of divorcing. Our relationship is better now than it was a year ago. My kids have adjusted well and do not seem to be struggling with it. Every one of my family members and friends have been more than supportive (including my in-laws). All that remains are my other co-workers and people I'd classify more as acquaintances than friends.

I expected the worst when I was telling people. But each time, it was no where near as bad as I had expected. And the best part is, someone I considered to be just a regular friend has turned into one of the most supporting individuals I could ever have in my life. He is there for me when I'm down. He texts me regularly asking how I'm doing and he even changed his schedule one night to bring dinner to me when I was depressed and not eating. I don't think I'd have a close relationship with him if I hadn't come out.

Since I've hit my coming out anniversary, I thought it was time to thank everyone who has helped me with advice and guidance. Knowing that I have a safe place to go to when things get tough has helped tremendously. And a special thank you to a certain moderator (Jim) who has checked up on me over the past year. Your guidance has been especially helpful to me. I look forward to getting through the rest of my coming out process and starting my new, open life. It already feels so good to be free of the closet.

Chris

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We here at EC always appreciate the kudos (if Jim doesn't mind me saying so on his behalf). Uber-stoked that your life has taken a majorly positive turn. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is so fantastic to hear, and it's great that you took the time to share your experience. Particularly for older, heterosexually-married gay men, I think it can be a really lonely experience, so sharing what you've been through can be very helpful and beneficial to others in the community.

I hope you stick around and continue to post and contribute!!

4. s5m1

Chris, that is great news. Congratulations!

5. Jim1454

That's exactly why I DO stick around to help. I remember how lonely and isolated I felt. How I assumed that I was the only person in the world struggling in this sitaution. Emptyclosets was a great resource for me, and I hope it continues to help people of all ages who are coming to terms with being gay.

I'm really glad to hear that you're doing so well - although as you said, it doesn't come as a surprise. We chat quite often. Keep it up! You're an inspiration to others who have yet to travel that path.

6. padre411

Congratulations!

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

This is amazing! I can't even imagine having to come out to your kids and wife. Congrats! :grin:

8. straal1972

Thank you for your story. I'm in a similar boat and have yet to come out to my wife. Thanks to my shrink for suggesting I find a forum about this. thanks to EC.

9. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

10. Saikou7

This is really great to hear! :icon_bigg
    Success stories like this are my favorite part of EC!

11. straal1972

KneeDragger, if at all possible, i'd like to hear how this christmas season is going with you. Are you getting together with all your family like in previous years? Or are there going to be separate events for your ex and another for you? I don't mean to pry, but I am curious to know if things have changed with your extended familiy. Thanks

12. KneeDragger

Christmas has gone better than I expected. I've had times where I've been depressed or anxious. Most of that really has nothing to do with the holiday and everything to do with getting used to being single.

Christmas was almost like the past. We were together as a family Christmas Eve in order to go to church and go out for chinese food afterwards. That's been our traditional Christmas Eve for many years. On Christmas morning, I went over to the house early in order to help set up all of the gifts. We spent the day together as we have in the past and I finally went back to my place Christmas night after dinner. It felt different, but not sad. Nobody seemed to be too bothered.

When we celebrated Christmas with my parents and sister, or Cheryl's parents and brother, we were both there as we always have. Nothing really has changed for me because we've tried to keep things stable.

My therapist is working with me to change our holidays going forward. Basically this year, she wanted me to bring food to Cheryl's house like any other guest would for the party. Next year, Cheryl and I will shop for the kids together, but Cheryl will shop for her family and I will shop for mine. She wanted me to have the kids over to my place to help decorate this year, but that didn't ever work out. Too many conflicts.

There will be changes coming in the future, but the core celebration didn't change much this year. Who knows what will happen once I start dating or if Cheryl decides to date. It's something I think about but haven't had to deal with yet.

13. straal1972

Thank you KneeDragger for sharing your Xmas story. It helps to hear that is was stable and all. Good luck and the best for the new year.