1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's all gravy baby, ain't no thing but a chicken wing. :D

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by maverick, Nov 15, 2010.

1. maverick

I just came out to my brother over text. Probably not optimal, I would have liked to have had the guts to do it to his face, but he lives on the other side of the country from me, and it just came out (pun totally intended). He's the only person I've ever told other than my best friend.

So here's how it went:

Me: I have a really serious question to ask you. You'd still be cool with me if I was gay, wouldn't you? Or your brother?

Him: Sure, why?

Me: Because I'm queer. Just in case the JNCO jeans and the motorcycle weren't a dead giveaway. But you're still my homefry and I still love you no matter what.

Him: No worries, sort of had a feeling, not to offend.

Me: Whew, thanks. I feel so much better. I love you bud, so much. You seriously have no idea how relieved I am, it's ridiculous.

Him: Lol. Do what you want, you only got one life, you might as well live it the way you want to. It's all gravy baby, ain't no thing but a chicken wing. Just let me know if you need anything, I'm here for you.

This is what he had to say about my parents' reactions (who I am most worried about in the future):

They are going to shit a brick, this is like the time I told them I smoked cigarettes. Beware your travels ahead young samurai, the road is very long and hard. Be prepared, you have to remember you'd be the first person in a long-traditioned bible-loving Irish family to come out of the closet. But be strong and stand up for what you believe in, that's very important. I got your back until the end of days, GENERATION X UNITE!!!

And this is what I feel like in response to his response:

(!):lol:frowning2:!)

Can I just say my brother rocks the ****in' casbah?

I feel like dancing around to The Producers soundtrack in my office, that's how relieved I am. Literally floating on air. Telling my folks after telling him will be a snap. It's like all fear has dropped away from me.

If anybody out there is still hiding, don't wait. It's not worth it. And the feeling when you're finally free...it's amazing. :icon_wink

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, i'm glad it went well. I hope everyone you come out to is so supportive.

Let me give you the happy dance:
    (!) (!!) (!)

And after reading the name of your thread i'm kinda hungry

3. Eleanor Rigby

That's awesome :slight_smile: I'm happy for you your brother reacted so well.
    And welcome to EC by the way :slight_smile:

4. maverick

Thanks guys! I'm so relieved that he was neither shocked nor negative in the slightest. He always came off as slightly homophobic growing up, so I was worried about it.

I'd been fighting with myself the last few days whether or not to come out to my family since we do have so many holy rollers and otherwise judgy-seeming people in the mix, but I'm pretty sure my young cousin is gay as well (he might not be, but my gaydar is pretty well-honed) and I was thinking to myself last night, I am doing an injustice to my people by being a coward.

Anyway, I don't want him to have to grow up secretive and afraid like I did, LBGQT people in Alabama shouldn't have to go around cowering because we're scared of getting bashed or discriminated against. It's 2010, that's just ridiculous.

So yeah. I'm here, I'm queer, get used to it. Or something. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 15th Nov 2010 at 11:20 AM ----------

Though I have to disagree with my brother that telling my parents I'm gay is the same as him coming out about smoking cigarettes.

"Hey Mom and Dad, I'm really a dude," is *not* the same kind of conversation.

#4 maverick, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  5. Darkwing65

Have you tried the gum? lmao

6. maverick

Further excerpts from our convo:

Him: This is going to be like the time they (my parents) tried to convince me to get you to join the Navy.

Me: Yeah, but it's not exactly like you can convince me to stop being queer, lol. God knows I've spent the last several years trying THAT out.

Yeah, it's sweet that he's so supportive, but...yeah...lol

7. x2x2x2x2y2

lol Congrats!! He sounds awesome!! :slight_smile:

8. lostinthought9

Congrats on coming out! I can only imagine how relieved you must feel! Your brother sounds really cool.

No offense, but you guys sound so Southern, I just love it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Nodnarb

Congrats!

But yeah...your Southern-ness left me cracking up:slight_smile: Amazing how well that translates through text.

10. NordicSpirit

Congrats!! Im so happy it went well for you!!

11. maverick

Thanks y'all. :kiss:

Just to clarify - The JNCO remark was a reference to my cross-dressing ways when I was a teenager (everybody knows JNCOs were hot in the '90s). I was probably one of the most butch girls in my high school, lol...I have progressed to Mossimo cargo jeans in my post-college years.

You know what they say - nothing cooler than a queer with a drawl. Just look at Truman Capote. :grin:

12. yeahyeah

yeahyeah Guest

Congrats Im so happy it went well for you!! :grin:

13. Charme

Charme Guest

Hahaha! Dude you're bro sounds so chill. And his advice was just great xD

14. yeahyeah

yeahyeah Guest

Your brother sounds cool :grin: haha