1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nearly came out....Not sure now?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by DanielleBabyx, Nov 24, 2010.

1. DanielleBabyx

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    i was going writing a letter but thought i'd just do it this way. Well i seen some old (like 6 days old)paper and i was skipping through the pages when i seen "It gets better" thingy about Obama sorting it out and stuff (link here http://blog.seattlepi.com/stepforward/archives/225770.asp). I said look " Thats cool" my mum said "Well there's better things he could be doing there with Gun crime and other things anyway we don't live in America so who cares what happens there,the money could be spent better though" so i said " But It's a good thing to do,it's helping people isn't it?" then she said something like "Yeah but it's not important,It's some weird project for some weird people who kill themselves because they cant face that there weird,just all weird so put that paper in the bin" then she went to put her shoe's on or something...

(I know it never went that well,at least i talked about it though?"

2. NordicSpirit

Im sorry your mom feels like that. Maybe when you come out to her she will feel different about gay people. Like maybe now its not important to her if she doesnt know any gays/lesbians(or if she thinks she doesnt!!). Maybe not though. Be careful coming out to her. You dont say how old you are. It might be a good idea to wait if your young, until you are more independent before coming out. Are you out to any friends or anyone else in your family?

3. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

If all you've ever seen of gay people is from media; television, movies, newspapers, etc. you can come away thinking that gay people are pretty 'weird' although nowadays I wouldn't call it that. When I was growing up all I ever saw of gay people were the really camp guys who were into fashion and interior design on television and the people who paraded down city streets in speedos every summer in the newspaper. Growing up where I did, both were very very out of the ordinary things to do (for anyone to be into fashion or wear speedos that is) so it was easy to see gay people as being 'weird'.

When I met gay people in person for the first time at university they were all incredibly typical and it quickly shattered everything that I was expecting.

All that is to say that maybe it is the same way with your mom. Maybe when you come out she'll realize that gay people aren't 'weird' but are people like you. She has a stereotype in her head, you coming out may shatter that.

Good luck!

4. DanielleBabyx

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No I'm only out to this social and heath Teacher. Yeah i thought she could be different? x

5. midwestblues

Wow what a crushing thing to have a mother say to you. It sounds like she might have known what you were getting towards and wanted to discourage you from telling her and reaffirm her stance against homosexuality without having to directly oppose you. Hopefully that isn't the case but it's kind of how it sounds. On the positive side, her viewpoint could just be skewed because she's not familiar with many gay people, and you coming out to her might be the wake up call she needs. Have you considered waiting until you've moved out to tell her? I still live with my parents and I haven't directly told them, although my mom knows anyways and I don't care, and I don't think my dad knows. If either of them asked me I would tell the truth, but otherwise I don't really acknowledge it with them because I know it would stir up drama. It sounds like it would stir up drama with your mom, too, so if it's not imperative that she knows right now, I'd suggest holding off for a bit.

6. DanielleBabyx

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah thanks,it's just i hate keeping it in :/ i could always stay somewhere else until they were okay with it thats what i was going to do but now i dont know. x