1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out to my boss.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by maverick, Dec 3, 2010.

1. maverick

I came to my boss today during performance reviews, because in the section of my review where it states "improvements to the company", I suggested that they change their equal opportunity employment and discrimination/harassment policies to include sexual orientation.

He never brought it up during the review, but at the end he kept saying, "Is there anything we can do for you?" and (dense me) finally figured out he was alluding to what I had written.

I just told him that I was gay (easier than explaining the trans thing), and that I in all likelihood wasn't the only person in the office who is, and that I had noticed in their policies that sexual orientation wasn't included, and that I thought it should be changed.

My boss smiled, agreed, and said that despite our (the people in the office) individual prejudices and leanings that we were still able to enjoy each other, and that one of the best things we could do is progress and grow in our understanding of one another. He wanted to make sure that I hadn't dealt with any harassment, and I assured him that the people I work with are great and that I hadn't - I just don't want it to happen to anyone else, and I believe that everyone is equal and deserves equal treatment with regards to benefits and the like.

So now my company is totally changing its Equal Opportunity Employment and Discrimination policies to reflect sexual orientation. Yay civil rights! (!!)

2. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    My college has a saying that it puts up on a lot of posters all the time...

"Why not change the world?"

You're coming out to your boss reminded me of this, and how you yourself just changed the world. Way to go and help everyone take that step forward. :thumbsup:

3. Moonstrike

Moonstrike Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Where will you stop? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Congrats! :grin:

4. maverick

Right? I better be careful, I'm going to turn into one of those "militant gays"...:lol:

I almost didn't approach my boss about it, to be honest (almost chickened out at the last minute, because this is my rent check after all) but I'm glad I did now. He was very supportive and now if I ever find that "special someone" I can get the same spousal benefits as everyone else. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

Thanks! One of the reasons I did it was because I knew I was going to get a really good performance review this year (and I did - my boss actually wrote "indispensable" in the comments section of my review paperwork) and I wanted to show him that we're here, we're queer, and not only can we perform just as well as the straights professionally, we're capable of out-performing them.

Hence it would be in their best corporate interest to keep us happy and give us all those civil rights and stuff. :icon_wink

5. NordicSpirit

Thats great! Well done you! :slight_smile:

6. Holmes

Well done, you didn't just come out, but are making a difference that others will benefit from.

7. RealityCheck

Very impressive work!!!
    From the conversation, it seems like you have a great boss as well.
    Congrats.