1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I suck.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Zontar, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Zontar

Me: "I'm moping around because something is bothering me."
    Dad: "What is it?"
    Me: "Uh, I don't think I'm ready to tell you yet."
    Dad: "Out with it already!!"
    Me: "Stop pushing."
    Mom: "What? Are you gay or something?"
    Me: "NO!!"
    Dad: "We wouldn't care." (The hell you wouldn't, who wants a gay kid?)
    Me: "I told you it would be better if I worked it out myself."
    Dad: "Did you murder someone?"
    Me: "I don't think so, Tim."
    Mom: "Are you on drugs?"
    Me: "Did I say this was a game of 20 questions?"
    Dad: "Then what is so bad that we're gonna kick you out and cut you off for?"
    Me: "...don't worry about it."
    Dad: "He's gotta be gay, what else can it be."
    Me: "IT AIN'T THAT!!"
    Dad: "He's in love with his best friend, that's it."
    Me: "Oh, God no." (This is actually the truth, I would never date him lol)

In a span of twenty minutes, I practically felt sick to my stomach, lied twice, and was left ambiguous as to how they'll take it. Any progress on that straight pill, scientists?

2. No One

You had the perfect chance to come out right there. I would say it would be best to just come clean to your parents as soon as you can... but then again, I can't talk either so eh.

3. echapper

No worries. You're just not ready yet. Give it some time, you will be able to answer YES! eventually :slight_smile:

On the bright side, seems like your dad would be okay with you being gay. He seems to be a bit pushy though :wink:

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! (*hug*) You know, it is perfectly alright if you find yourself not being able to say it. Don't be too hard on yourself! If you look back on the conversation, your dad already told you, "I'm okay with you being gay, I would still love you."

What to do? Go back to your dad, sit down with him, and talk to him. You can tell him, "Dad, thank you for saying "we wouldn't care if I am gay. I'm still trying to figure things out and know that this is me but this is how I feel at the moment. I'm afraid of saying things because I know that within myself I'm still struggling."

Your dad already told you, "I'm okay with you being gay." Believe him, and take the door that he has opened for you. (*hug*)

5. midwestblues

You're dwelling in internal homophobia. By doing so, you're missing the valuable opportunity to give your parents an understanding of you and your situation. I'd suggest you get over it and start being honest with them instead of rejecting their responses to your blatant cries for help.

#5 midwestblues, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  6. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    also, letting your father in with this sort of understanding thing may actually help a lot. As mirko said, letting your dad know what you're going through, or at least let him know that it has to do with sexuality and confusion - at least he'd be someone to talk to about it. You don't have to tell him that you know, but let him know that your confused is just as good - plus it keeps him from worrying about what could be (and isn't).

7. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

It's almost finished, I'm just working on stabilizing it and reducing the side effects. No, but really though, if you weren't ready to tell them you weren't ready to tell them. You don't suck because of it. It's easy to picture how it will go and then absolutely freezing under pressure in the moment.

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you have to come out on your own terms.

9. secretstache09

I've lied to my mom when she asked me before, so you arent alone, and you say "I suck" like its a bad thing =P. But seriously, you have to learn to accept who you are first, then once u get comfortable with yourself, you will find it a little easier to tell whoever it is you want to tell. You will feel better when you feel better about yourself first. *hugs*

10. Holmes

I'm just going to focus on this. My parents for one. Many other people's parents. And from the looks of it, your own too. And I don't mean they'd have specifically planned to have a gay child, but they can be just as happy about it when they realize that's what you are.

What makes you assume your parents are lying here?

11. Vivi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're obviously not ready to come out to them, and that's ok. It doesn't mean you suck.

What i would say, is don't be so quick to assume your dad would have a problem with you being gay. It sounds like your parents were a bit pushy with you and probably could have been more tactful but it doesn't sound like they're homophobic and they seem concerned about you.

Try to keep that in mind when you do feel like you might be ready to tell them.

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't need a straight pill. (Sorry, ECers, Lex is pulling out the house analogy again.)

Let's say you're standard height. Six feet tall or so. And say you're living in a house built for people three feet tall. You have to walk along the hallway bent over double, and the shower is impossible to use, and you have to curl into fetal position to get into bed. You might start thinking "If only I weren't so tall, things would be so much better."

Your problem isn't that you're too tall.
    The problem is that you're in the wrong house.

Similarly, your problem isn't not-being-straight.
    It's that you're living in denial (with your parents).

What parent wants a gay child? Perhaps not many. Not because they're sickened by the idea, but mainly because every parents wants their child's path to be as smooth and simple as possible. And they look at homosexuality as an extremely bumpy path ahead. Many parents - mine included - worried about me when I came out. But they soon realized that I am what I am, and denying that would make the path much tougher than simply accepting it and continuing on. My parents don't love me despite the fact that I'm gay - they love me completely, including the gay part. And they love my partner as well. :slight_smile:

As suggested above, keeping working on yourself. Eventually, you'll be comfortable enough with it that you'll want to come out on your own.

Lex

13. straal1972

^^ what everyone else posted. As a parent, you love your kids. You worry about them, and you want to help them whenever they are in pain. Yes kids can dissapoint you, but everyone does at some point or another, that's not the point. The point is that they love you. Your dad has broached the topic of you being gay, he must at some level suspect it and is striving to be okay with it, even to the extent of telling you it would be okay if you were. Yes there is initial shock of exposure, but after that, its back to family life like normal (with a little twist).

14. Lotty

It's all right if you don't want to come out yet. You've got to do that your way. I have no intention to come out to my parents soon. Only, if they'd ask me, I don't think I would lie.

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You'll get there Zontar. It's a part of who you are, and at least you know once you get past the inner homophobia, your parents will accept you and that speaks volumes. I know you said "who wants a gay kid?" and while many parents don't necessarily want a gay kid, at least your parents are fine with it and that is huge.

16. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    C'mon, don't beat yourself up about this. So you're not ready to say yes to your dad's question. Maybe it was the way he said it and your shock that he asked and the mood you were in and not being ready. It seems like he will be ok with a gay son so that's cool. I used to dread the thought of anyone asking me that and still do unless it would be just one person in a private place and the question is asked with respect and concern. No one in my family has asked me, but I kinda wish they would in the way I described.
    I hope you can make the progress you want :slight_smile:

17. maverick

I lied when my mom asked me if I was a lesbian in college and I said no. 'Course it's not totally a lie since I'm transgendered and not a lesbian, per se...but my mom opened the conversation and I totally shot her down; a lie by omission is still a lie. So I feel you on that - you're not the only one who has lied about the Big Question. It doesn't mean you suck.

But your parents sound extremely accepting though, I'd just come out with it if I were you. :newcolor:

18. Zontar

My parents never had the slightest problem with gays and lesbians.

The big problem is whether or not they can handle their own son being one. Sort of like how some fathers don't seem to have a problem with interracial marriage until their daughter brings home a black man. The answer to this question is an honest "I don't know", although I can't afford to compromise family support because of it.

19. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! If your

I doubt that they would have a problem with their own son being gay. :slight_smile: I mean usually there are some signs if your parents would be against it or would have a hard time with you being gay.

What makes you wonder, as to whether your parents can handle their son being gay? Your dad already gave you the answer to that.

Sometimes, our own fears or uncomfortable feelings let us to project onto others, and our insecurities become part of how we see as to how others might react or handle it. So the question for you to find an answer first is: are you comfortable with yourself? When you stand in front of the mirror and say the words, "I am gay" out loud, how do you feel?

The fears and thoughts you are having might be indications that you are not ready to come out your parents at this stage, which is totally fine. Maybe wait a bit, and try to work on becoming more comfortable with yourself and then give it another try. (*hug*)

20. Fintan

I think your parents might know already.

But, either way you need to do this on your own terms. I am no expert. But when I was ready to tell them. I KNEW I was ready to tell them. Don't get me wrong it was nerve-racking as hell, but I knew I wanted to do it and do it soon. You need to accept yourself first to get yourself to that place.

It sounds like you have pretty cool parents though. You're a lucky guy, and I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt!