1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out process

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by chamsfan77, Jan 1, 2011.

1. chamsfan77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A bit of background. I'm 33 and I finally came out -- to my mom -- in November. This after wrestling with the idea for a few months after finally accepting it myself. My whole teen life onward, I had simply denied any chance of being gay to myself. I never dated (not women, and certainly not men), I never discussed relationships with family or friends, nothing. When I finished school 12 years ago, I started working in my dad's business, eventually taking it over, and have kept myself occupied with that.

In the spring of 2010, I started changing my life by sticking with a "lifestyle change" (diet and exercise) and by the fall had lost 50 lbs. I also became aware that, for the first time in my life, I actually started to feel good about myself physically (I'm now of normal weight and have kept it going). And around that time, I began to think about this whole relationship thing...

I was still denying being gay to myself, but it was becoming harder. I wanted to put myself out there, but as much as I thought I could be on the look out for women, I really didn't want to. The boost in confidence did not lead to a reversal of gayness, to my actual surprise.

In the early fall, I was out for a drink with one of the guys from work, and my half-drunken self dragged the conversation into sexuality. He said he knew he was always straight, to which I replied "I'm straight but I wasn't always sure." A pathetic lie, but the biggest admission I ever made. I cried myself to sleep that night. The next night, I replayed the conversation out loud to myself and said "I'm gay" instead of the other thing. For the first time in my life, I said it!

Fast forward to November, and I was going to visit my out-of-town mom. And I was going to tell her. And I did. It basically went: "Mom, I need to talk to you..." then with some background info, and then "I'm gay and I've always known." She replied with "Are you really?!" followed by a hug, followed by "I honestly had no idea." Honestly, I figured it had become self-evident, but apparently not. Anyway, it was all very loving, and we talked for an hour. It went as expected -- very well. :kiss:

I came out to a cousin a few days after. That also went well -- she's in University, liberal, and very open-minded, so I knew she'd be a safe bet. Oh, and the guy from work, I told him too. He was like "whatever," then immediately ranted to me about how his father hates his girlfriend. Ahhh, acceptance.

I'm still only out to three people. Coming out to my dad will be hard, because though I'm sure he'll be fine with it, I think it will be awkward. I'm rarely emotional with him, and he's never emotional with me. Same goes with my male friends. If my mom had told me it was obvious that I was gay, it would be easier. But now it seems like I'll be dropping a bomb on them... Hello? I don't date! I never ever talk about girls. How straight-acting can one be? I've since asked my mom if there were ever hints, and she insists she never suspected it. She just thought because I work so hard, and being a very shy person, I would eventually come around to finding a woman.

Anyway, my dad this weekend. Maybe a couple friends next week. We shall see how it goes... Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

2. yourillusion

Good luck! So glad it went well with your mom, and that you're understanding the real you! I'm fascinated with coming out stories. Wish I had more of my own! Keep us updated on talking with your dad. :slight_smile:

3. ToTheCeilingFan

You've got this, dude. You should be so proud of yourself--coming out can be so scary. Good luck and keep us updated!(*hug*)

4. Fintan

Congratulations man! Great post and I totally can relate. I came out about a month ago and had a similar response. It seems that those closest to me had no idea, but those I have known for a shorter time, guessed it as at least a possibility at some point. I sort of think, my family and really old friends just never saw me interested in girls or really dating so they didn't see a "change" as I was just always like that.

Whereas people I have known for a shorter time, just figure a guy my age would have a girlfriend or talk about dating/girls. So it is more apparent. Just my two cents, as I didn't expect some of the responses either!

We can't blame anyone though. I bet if I asked you a year ago you'd have been damn glad your straight-acting was working for ya! And now you wish you were more obvious! haha

Anyway, good luck and congrats!

5. echapper

Congrats! Great post! It must've taken a lot of courage to do this. I am glad you did. And it's great to see that things are going the right way. Keep up the good job! :wink:

6. Eleanor Rigby

Hi and welcome to EC :slight_smile:
    Thanks for sharing your journey so far with us and congratulations for coming out to your mother, cousin and friend. That great and I am happy for you they all are supportive.
    Let us know how your coming out to your father is going.
    Take care (*hug*) Cécile

7. chamsfan77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Coming out to my dad will have to wait until a bit later on this week, and not today as planned. I was gonna do it over brunch at a restaurant, but unbeknownst to me, he had invited one of his personal acquaintances along. Uh, hi?

Yeah, I often feel the need to explain myself to others like that. But nobody ever prods too much, at least not explicitly. Plus, I always just lied and said that I was straight, but that I was just too busy to date or get married and have kids. Is it really a lie if you're in denial yourself? I had convinced myself that no, it was not...

8. straal1972

Congrats, I had both types of responses, my sister was "I'm not surprised, I thought you might be, before you were married :eusa_doh: ", my brother, 'I had no idea, all I cared about was my baseball glove:confused:'

9. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, dude, that was a really great post and most excellent coming out you've had :slight_smile: Welcome to EC!

I think I'd prefer that people didn't suspect me as gay, but then like you said it's like dropping a bomb on them and maybe that would make it harder to bring up out of the blue. Your point, "Hello? I don't date! I never ever talk about girls. How straight-acting can one be?" was really funny and exactly how I am so it's like how can people not suspect we're gay?

I wish you confidence and the best response from your dad and anyone else. Let us know how it goes :thumbsup: