1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

almost out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by TheWanderer, Jan 6, 2011.

1. TheWanderer

So as some of you know I have been floating around here for the past month or so, and if you read my other thread you know that I am out to my best friend. Of course she was very supportive, this time around and the first time. But, what I do want to say and the point I'm trying to make that since I have actually accepted myself for who I actually am things have gotten so much better.

Just a bit of what I mean. Ever since I was about 18 I wasn't very social, I never felt like I belonged with the people I was with, or what I was doing was right for me. So I dealt with this for about 5 more years, never had any meaningful relationships during this time, whether it be with girlfriends or just friends in general. My relationships with my entire family was strained, which sucked because my entire family, extended and all is very close. During those 5 years I began doing drugs and drinking heavily, kinda made me feel like I was supposed to be with the people around me. Anyhow, last year I realized that my life would never change until I did something about it. So I did. I completely stopped talking to all of my friends, stopped doing drugs, and I still drink but far less. I think its because its not really used as me trying to fit in.

At first this seemed like a horrible thing, I was lonely, fell into what seemed like an irreversible depression and was just a miserable person to be around. Of course this made things with my family soooo much worse. About 3 months ago I moved out of my parents house and got an apartment, at the time it was a chance to separate myself from all that seemed so terrible. It was about the same time I found EC.

So one night I was sitting on my couch just thinking I suppose. And I said out loud "I'm gay." Not really too sure why I decided to admit this to myself now but it felt soo good to actually say it. I ended up calling my best friend and talking to her for a few hours. Got on EC and made my original post in the support forum. Of course everyone here was nice and full of helpful things to say.

I got up the next day and felt like a new person. That was about two weeks ago, since then I have been doing things I have never imagined. My relationships at work are much better, even though none of them know I am gay. I have had amazing conversations with my parents, same thing still not out to them. I love going out for breakfast, I am now able to join in conversation with the pother people at the dinner. The list goes on.

I think what I really want to say is that since I came out to myself, my best friend, and all of you it seems like my anxiety has been washed away. Not to mention I started taking better care of myself.

Someone on here told me something like "what you have done so for, coming out to yourself is already a huge step. I dont think that you are aware of that." Im sorry I can't remember who you are while Im typing this but thank you. I do now realize what I have done and what is to come. I also want to thank everyone here, whether or nor you replied to any of my topics or not, you all are such amazing people. So thanks!!!

I think thats about it for now. I wont be coming out to my family just yet but, I will be sure to spread the word when its time. For now I'm late for "Black Swan" you guys better be right about it being a good movie :icon_bigg

Much love,
    TheWanderer (&&&)

ps. I rant I know please forgive me

2. straal1972

Wanderer, it wasn't a rant. It was a heartfelt telling of your story and a thank you. I know what you mean about after you came out to yourself how 'different' you felt. I feel the same way. But I've been told by many on here, that i'm not really different, but that a part of me that was hidden away can now come forward. I trully feel like I can begin to fit into this world now. I hope you feel this too.

3. EM68

First of all welcome of EC! You have made a lot of progress. Be proud of yourself! You are becoming more secure about yourself and that is a foundation that will help you come out to your friends and family. Remember that coming out is a not a race. Come out at your own pace. You may want to join a LGBT group to meet people and continue to develop your selfconfidence. There is a number of groups in the Boston area. Good luck! :slight_smile:

4. maverick

Don't really know what to say Wanderer, except that our stories are so similar it's kind of crazy. I think the only real difference was I learned to hide my depression so that it never really strained my existing relationships. I just vehemently avoided forming any kind of meaningful, long-term relationship with anyone new, and refused to allow anyone (I already associated with to know anything personal about me.

I feel exactly like you do.

5. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, Wanderer, this is really great!! :slight_smile: I'm so happy that you're feeling so good. Keep up with the healthy changes and moderate alcohol consumption is good for you :thumbsup: I experience the distant relationships like you and maverick and I'm sure your coming out will improve those since you can just be more honest with people and they'll notice that. Congrats and I'm wishing good things for you (*hug*)

6. Eleanor Rigby

I'm happy for you that you're feeling better (*hug*) Coming out to yourself was indeed a huge step and probably the hardest one. You can be proud of yourself (*hug*).
    Now coming out to other people is something you have to do at your own pace. Coming out is not a race, it's something you have to do when you feel ready for it.
    You already come out to your friend wich is great. Now you'll came out to other people when you'll feel comfortable enough with yourself. Wich I'm sure is going to happen sooner than you're expecting :wink:
    Take care (*hug*) Cécile