1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Out (wow, what an original thread title hehe)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by davo-man, Oct 13, 2007.

1. davo-man

Hello all, how's it going?

Just thought I would update you all on my coming out situation etc, cos I have finally done and told everyone (yes I know, I totally just spoiled the ending, but anyway)...So as you may or may not know, my birthday was on Oct 13 (yesterday) and Coming Out Day was on Oct 11, so I decided that at some point during those three days, I would tell my family (consisting of Mum Dad and two older sisters)

So on Wednesday (10th Oct) my sisters surprised me with a trip to Melbourne to visit this Pixar exhibition, which was marvelous btw, and then we went shopping. So on the way home, as i we were dropping off the middle sister, I just said that there was something i had to tell them and told them. They were very supportive and they're all cool with it. In fact, me and my older sister had a very long deep and meaningful coversation on the way home.

One thing that both suggested was that i should hold back from telling the parents until after my party, and that got me all scared, so I decided to not tell them.

Then on my birthday, I got up got ready for the party, then the party was upon me...YAY...party time...I had a great time and the pics are in my gallery, so i really hope you all check them out cos they're quite interesting...(Me as the Joker...very interesting

Then the next day (today) I decided that today was the day...So I wait until both of my sisters are out of the house, and go sit and watch the motorbikes with the parents...I wait until an ad comes on, and think that this is the best chance Im going to have to I say

"Parents, there's something I have to tell you and now that Im 18, I think Im mature enough for you to know. Im gay"

They literally were silent, so I ask for any responces. Mum said that as long as I was happy that she was happy so that's all good. Dad sat there in silence. I think he honestly had no idea, so that's gunna take a bit for him to get over I think. I think Mum will talk to him to bring him around a bit...oh well...So Mum's all good, Dad a bit surprised and poss dissapointed, and sisters supportive, so all good!

So that's all for now, thanks for reading if you have...so yay im all out!

2. aussie paul

Wow man, welcome to adulthood! So you just told 'em in an ad break in the bike races! Go Boy! Yeah I guess your mum will talk to your dad. Glad your sisters are supportive. Way to go. Good luck with the questions from your dad! Paul. PS, wish I could tell my parents too, but they're heaps old now.

3. waitingsucks

That is so great for you. I can't believe u came out 2 ur parents on your 18th because heaps of people who havn't come out to their family don't till they're older then 18. Congrats on the birthday btw. Ur lucky u've got a supportive mum. but dw about ur dad. it's kinda more common for dads (being a straight man) to be more suprised. It's just a shock for him but that should b all. he will get over it and b happy for u soon enough.

Happy Birthday![​IMG]

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Congratulations Dave! That sounds quite similar to hoe my sister and parents reacted. Get your sister to have a chat with your mum and dad too. If they see that she is fine with it, it'll probably help them realise that it isn't so bad after all.

Have a look at this thread too http://emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=930. You've probably read it before but it could be a good time to look at it again. It explains what they are going through now, which will probably help you understand their reactions better.

It may be worth trying to get some information for them to read. All they probably know is the stereotypes and rubbish from the media so their views may be distorted. Becky could probably get some PFLAG stuff mailed to you when she gets back. There's probably something similar in Australia you could contact for them too.

5. davo-man

Thanks guys....just an update...My dad just came into my room and we had a big discussion about he is worried for my safety with gay bashings, HIV/AIDS, bullying and stuff, but that he still loves me. So that's awesome...It seems he just needed some time to think it over, so yay

6. Revealed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Congrats on coming out Davo-man!! :thumbsup:

I'm glad that your sisters & your mum had such a good response. I'd say your dad just needs a little time to let things sink in. But I'm sure with the support of your other family members, he should come around in no time.

I can't believe you just told them in an add break!! That's incredible!! I'm invisioning a lot of mental-torture in the lead-up to when I come out to the fam. I'd be so freaked out and stressed deciding the 'right' time and what to say to them.

Hope everything works out well and I'm sure you're relieved to have told them at last. :eusa_clap

7. Grof142007

Congrats woot the world is slowly Changing for the better woot. Love your Party Pics

8. biisme

congratulations! i'm so happy for you!

9. neverover

dat is so smooth! no single bump on the road... gud for u! congrats!

10. crimsonarcher

yay! congratulations!!

11. Jim1454

Did you have to wrestle the remote away from your dad so that he didn't channel surt during the commercial break?

Congrats Dave! That's really great news. Glad you had a good birthday, and super glad that you've come out to your family now!

12. CrimsonThunder

Thats good!

Well done davey! ^_^

13. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

hey congrats,I'm happy for you.it's great it went so well!

14. Louise

What a fantastic way to start your adult life. God I am so SO happy for you (!) With a family like that, especially a dad that can talk to you about his feelings, you must be feeling on top of the world. :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg

15. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan Guest

I'm really happy for you. :slight_smile: You did it!

(But I still think you're weird if you actually addressed your parents collectively as "Parents." Haha!)

16. davo-man

hehe I got the habit of calling my parents "The Parents" from my sister, not sure why she started calling them that, but it just stuck I guess