1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to come out on facebook

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Thatsit, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Thatsit

I want to come out on facebook, which is kind of a big deal to me. I'd only be changing my "interested in" to "Men," but still. I'm actually wondering if it would be a bad idea to not tell anyone in my family first. Like my mom kinda knows and my dad is on facebook but doesn't use it much so he probably wouldn't notice. My sister is friends with me on facebook. She doesn't know yet, and would likely notice on her own, if not all of our closeish cousins will probably let her know. They will all probably respond positively, but I just don't like thinking about coming out to them. I kind of want to do this because all of my good friends already know and it would make the whole process easier for me because I know people talk about stuff like this on facebook all the time. Anyways, Let's let this ramble end short, lol.

Should I go through facebook, or tell my parents/family first? Thanks

2. Beachboi92

i would say coming out to family members first would be a good idea or using the features to block people you are not prepared to be informed. Also remember if cousins or other family members or family friends see word will likely find it's way back to your parents. My advice is let them hear it from you first because this course of action appears to mean they will figure out anyways.

3. tojeem

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, I'd say come out to your family first.

It would be more personal, and they won't be offended when you come out on facebook to everybody else. Facebook is a good idea for every one else though. I did it. My friend did it. It's an easy and unawkward way to get it out to everybody... And people aren't obligated to reply if they don't want to. Good luck!

4. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree; Although it may seem tedious, coming out to your family wouldn't be as much as a slap-in-the-face sort of thing. I'd say just to do it out of respect and responsibility.

5. Darkwing65

At least your immediate family would probably be a good idea.

6. knight of ni

I think you should definitely tell your immediate family before you do any coming out on facebook. You owe it to them to tell them in person. It doesn't have to be face-to-face: a letter is fine. But don't let them find out by facebook. And if you're close to your cousins, you should probably tell them in person, too.
    Coming out on facebook is only for after you've told all the important people in your life, which includes friends and family!

7. Paper Heart

When I was coming out, I told all the family I was friends with at the time before (literally) I changed facebook. I honestly got up after telling my brother and changed it.

8. adam88

I told my immediate family first too, then announed my coming out in a status update.

9. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

I think you should tell your family first. But what you think is best, would be the best road to follow. =P

10. Queerious

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Facebook isn't that big of a deal, I have alot of extended family on facebook who didn't notice or care, and I felt really relieved after.
    If you change your 'interested in' without telling your family, you can used it as a conversation starter if or if not your family reacts. If someone asks you about it, talk to them in person if possible.

11. Thatsit

Alright, thanks a lot everyone. The process is probably going to be delayed then, but out of respect to my family. It will probably after spring break or something.

Thanks again,
    Ryan

12. Holmes

There may be some reason you want some people on Facebook to know, but I'd echo the calls of those who say you should tell your immediate family in person. So use the privacy controls, create a group in your Friends list for Family, and exclude them for the moment from seeing your relationship status.