1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Step Today

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by thedreamwatch, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Even though I am out to family and close friends, I am still chicken shit about telling anyone else and thus, very careful about what I say or do in public. When people ask me what I'm studying in school, I say Sociology (which is true) and neglect to mention the certificate in LGBT studies I will be getting as well. I often wonder if people think I'm gay and get nervous, which is makes me feel like a failure to the gay community as a whole, which I know is ridiculous...but still.

Today, however, I went to a meeting at the university I just transferred to. A Pride Alliance meeting. This is a big deal for me, because even though I haven't explicitly told anyone there that I am actually gay, I think I will, as soon as I get the feel of things in the group.

One of the faculty co-advisors is a lesbian and her partner also works at the school and she was there too, and they just told us that right off the bat. I want to be like that! So comfortable and not ashamed and brave.

The pride alliance is doing so much cool stuff this semester (like an LGBT prom!) and I'm going to be getting involved and comfortable with myself and less scared*.

*hopefully.

Anyway, I'm excited and just wanted to share it! :eusa_danc I am coming out MORE. I didn't really realize that coming out is not just over in one go, it's all the time. Coming out is not just telling my family or my friends, it's an on-going thing that I guess I'll be doing for the rest of my life. That's crazy. I just didn't understand that before now.

2. ToTheCeilingFan

Omigosh congrats! You're right, coming out takes forever...sometimes it feels like I'm hovering in the doorway of the closet and I can't stop myself from ducking back inside every once in a while. You should be mad proud of yourself, that's a huge step. <3