1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by HannahBanana, Oct 17, 2007.

1. HannahBanana

HannahBanana Guest

Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm new here, and I don't know if this is the place to post this but I need a little advice.

I am a senior in high school and recently learned I have won the Optimist Club Award for my school. I will attend an awards banquet in November and I have to fill out a questionnaire about my interests, hobbies, etc. I have been an active member of our chapter of the Gay/Straight Alliance for quite some time, but I haven't told my parents. I met my current girlfriend there, and I would really like to acknowledge all that the GSA has done for me in the past couple years. How should I tell my parents?

Thanks!
    Hannah:icon_bigg

2. It all depends on how your parents would react if you told them. That could give you stepping stone as to how to tell them.

3. HannahBanana

HannahBanana Guest

Out Status:
    All but family
    My father is very uptight, he'll probably lose it. :slight_smile: But I don't know about my mother. I've heard her make homophobic jokes, but I'm not completely sure.

4. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

If it was me I'd start off telling them about the GSA....idk why but i just had a mental block,so maybe that can help a little...sorry

5. MarkNYC

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, I won that award too! :grin: It's great on a college application.
    Sorry if I'm off topic. Congrats though.

6. Louise

I thik you could start by having a look at some of the coming out letters that have been posted here lately, they are very sensitive and lovely, this could give you some ideas. You could also have a look at some of the sticky posts in the support section.

Every straight person has at some time made a homophobic joke, it doesn't necessarily mean that we are homophobic, for most straights it's just a joke, nothing more nothing less.

If you think your mum might accept it more easily, maybe you could come out to her first, get her reaction, and hopefully support, before confronting your dad with this news.

Although this is a huge shock for parents, I think for the most part, once they start getting over it, all parents truely want for their children is for them to be happy in their lives. Everyone knows also that if you live a lie you can't be happy thus accepting yourself for who you are is vital to your happiness.

If you were hoping for a more precise reply I would be happy to PM you and chat about this... just for info, coz you're a newbie, I am a straight and completely unsuspecting mum who's son came out to her a few months ago.

Good luck

7. Tom

Tom Guest

i have to agree with louise, u always seem to say what i was goin to before i get the chance 2! comin out to ur mum first is usually the best way, she will know ur dad better than anyone and mums are normally easier to tell and care less about there childs sexuality, and they tend to accept it quicker too, just dont expect the whole thing about her wanting grandkids to go away sumtime soon, my parents r stil goin on about it lol. i just tell em tht if i find the right guy and settle down then we wud get a dog, and then mabe adopt if we felt like it, tends to shut em up, but the dog is a definet!