1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my dad today and 1 a.m!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Kso1995, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Kso1995

So after feeling the need to come out and being push to do so by a really good friend online i decided to finally give it another shot (i have been trying to tell my dad for a while)

I waited for my dad to come home which is around 11 p.m. Finally after many hours of waiting my dad eventually came home. When he wasn't around i felt extremely confident with my decision but as soon as i heard the front door open all that confidence turned into fear. In my room i was going back in forth in my head whether i should tell him or not, i finally decided to go out there and let him know but he seemed busy looking around for an important letter he misplaced and i didn't feel it would be a good time to bring up the topic so i just went straight back into my room. In my room i IMed my friend that i couldn't do it and how i knew it myself that i would never be able to do it and he told me to try one more time and I did but again it ended in me just walking back into my room again. I IMed my friend again and he said to go out there again and to tell him not not to come back till i did. so i went back out and i sat with him in the living room watching t.v. I told my dad that we needed to talk and my dad said what is it. I said that it was nothing and went straight back into my room. once again i IMed my friend and he brought up a good idea of texting him instead of telling him myself directly. What a great idea right except for the fact that i couldn't press the send button. my message said what i was trying to say was that im gay. eventually after almost half an hour of just keeping my thumb on that button i finally pressed it. After my dad got the text msg he came into my room and said that i was too young to know that im gay and after a moment of silence he asked me why i thought i was gay. I LIKE GUYS DUH DAD JEEZ. i didnt really say that but thats what i was thinking in my head. so after another long and awkward silence he left my room and told me to get some sleep. And today on the way to school he seemed like nothing happened. well there you go my coming out story.

2. silvousplait

silvousplait Guest

Many parents say that, and they believe you're too young because they either probably weren't as certain of whether or not they had on sexual preference or the other, or they are just absorbing the information. It's easier to take big news as an adult if you act like you are wiser than your child.
    He seems to be better than a lot of parents. He probably wanted to think about what you have just told him. But congratulations for telling him :grin:
    I remember how hard it was to tell my parents. :slight_smile:

3. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

This is a normal response for some parents.
    Some parents act like nothing has happened; while they maybe be still processing this new knowledge.
    If it bothers you, you may want to let your dad now about it. Or give him some time.
    And congratulations on coming out=)

4. Hako90

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    lol, I did the same thing to sacred to tell them, just send a text to them and hearing mom say what from my room, but they try telling me I need to go back to Church and not hang with my friend cody(who gay). it's never happen ex. awkward time when my dad ask me if I'm top or bottom and I just sit there in a awkward silence ._.

5. Wonderless

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I barely had enough courage to tell my friend Graci anything I envy you for even considering the thought and it doubled when you did come out to him. My parents would murder me, im the only non-homophobe in my family.

6. I just wanted to congratulate you on coming out. I would just give him some time, and if he is strongly rooted in you being 'to young to know' then I'd tell him to just get used to the idea that his son is gay. Though if he is really that stubborn then in a year or two you can always bring it up again. If anything it shows real courage to actually come out to anyone. You should celebrate somehow. :slight_smile:

7. zeratul

zeratul Guest

Yea don't be stubborn or have childish acts about it to your parents, the more adult-like you're about this issue, the more certainty your declaration will be in the minds of your parents, and the higher the probability that acceptance is the ONLY option will hit your parents mind.

The instant you throw a tantrum at them, thats when you lose all credibility and they will just think its a phase and try to get you out of it.

8. aidan

i hate to say it, but it kinda sounds like you're going to have to come out to him again.

9. RaRa

I try and give advice...but everything that I wanna say is always said before I get the chance to post. :slight_smile:

So I'll just say congrats on coming out to your dad.

10. officialtom

officialtom Guest

Nice work!

Coming out to my dad was pretty much IMPOSSIBLE but I finally managed to do it a year and a half ago. I know he's awkward about it, but he still seems to love me and even asks about my bf every now and then.

Congrats again, I hope everything goes well from here!

11. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Congrats on having the courage to come out to him! It does take a lot :slight_smile:

Like people already mentioned, the age thing is a very common response from parents. Specially when you come out as young as you did. Don't let it get you down and just give your parents some time. They will eventually catch up, even if it takes them sometime.

Best of luck with everything.

12. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good job on having the guts to tell him! :slight_smile: If he or you want to talk about it again, you could ask him when he knew he was attracted to girls. He probably knew before 15 as do most people. It's a legit question and could help him understand how u know who you're attracted to. Maybe give him some PFLAG stuff or from a medical association to help him understand the truth about human sexuality because he's probably never had a proper education on the subject. Anyway, sounds like he's being decent about it, but let us know how it's going, good or bad. Hope it's all good though!