1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom made first comment that actually admitted she knew today

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by flymetothemoon, Feb 25, 2011.

1. flymetothemoon

I'm actually really excited about this. My brother told my parents that I was dating a girl a little bit before Christmas, and although they have been civil about things, they've been kind of passive aggressive about the situation. My girlfriend came home with me for Christmas, and they were perfectly nice to her, but they haven't really talked about my girlfriend much to me, and have avoided the subject when I tried to bring it up. With my dad, this didn't bother me as much because we have never really talked about relationship things like that. However, my mom and I have, so it was tough to deal with from her and really seemed like she was trying to let me know she didn't approve even though she would be nice. Today, though, we were talking on the phone and she actually acknowledged the fact that I'm dating a girl (sort of...its the closest she's come, I'm considering it MAJOR progress). The conversation went something like this:

Mom: Oh, you'll really like this.
    Me: What?
    Mom: Melissa (my brother's girlfriend)'s mom just posted an article on facebook about Hawaii approving civil unions with all of the rights of marriage for same sex couples. That's good right?

2. MMAnick

I'd take that as her way of acknowledging it and telling you she is ok with it and being very suportive.

3. Eleanor Rigby

That's great :slight_smile: I'm happy for you that she is trying to be supportive.

4. flymetothemoon

Thanks guys. I'm really glad she's trying to. I was really nervous she wasn't going to be, and that things were going to be awkward between us now because of it. It's still a little awkward but I think she's really trying and things will over time get back to where they were before. I'm sure it was just a shock to hear that her once crazy Catholic daughter is dating a girl and took a little while before she could really try to support it.

5. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

I'm really happy for u :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I hope everything keeps going well :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. concklin

That's awesome! My mom did a similar thing when she came to visit last week. Hope it continues!

7. Flyers2011

That's awesome! It sounds like she's dealing well :slight_smile:.

8. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is really great! I hope she continues to bolster her support of you, and GLBT rights in general. As they say, the more people who know a GLBT person, the more they support our rights. Best wishes to you and your gf :slight_smile: