1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by zoeee, Mar 7, 2011.

1. zoeee

Yeah finally I have had my first coming out ever! That was actually already a while ago, I just haven't had the time to post it on here yet.

I slept over at her place for two nights and the second night we began to typically girl - talk, and then she asked me wether I had ever had a boyfriend. And I said no, and I said that if at all, I would rather have a girlfriend than a boyfriend :slight_smile: But that it's more difficult to find a girlfriend than a boyfriend...and she was like "yeah I can imagine that too" so I went: "what, that it's hard" - she: "no, making out with a girl" :lol: and she is hot! :slight_smile:

Sadly though she has stayed the only person I have come out to so far. And I think I know why this might be the case: She lives a couple of hours from where I live - so even if she began to spread the word, it wouldn't matter at all (although she'd never do that, I knew she was supportive, she had a freaking rainbow badge on her bag!?) and even if she had hated me for it, so what.

But it's different with my friends who live here - I couldn't avoid them. I have only got a couple of weeks left of school though, so I might just wait till then and only come out to the most important ones. On the other hand I think I might regret not coming out at school since I like lots of people here and it's part of me and so on.

And my family...I know, know, know that they would be supportive. My mum has given me gay books as presents...over the years probably five or six? They are totally pro gay rights and all..I just feel like I have already hurt them by not coming out earlier. So now I don't wanna do it at all...

Anyway, I'm happy about person number 1 so far :slight_smile:

2. Foxywolf

Good job on coming out to your first person! I don't know what you should do in your hometown. You don't necessarily have to come out to everyone. You could just stay open and not deny it if it ever comes up. I decided to come out to two of my friends who I knew would be supportive. The others though, I might end up not telling directly, rather I would live my life and if they figure out I would be like,"Yeah? So what?" It's kind of the chicken way out in my opinion, but I actually have NO IDEA how my other friends would react to the 'news' so I am being a chicken.
    As for your parents, you are going to have to tell them eventually. If you are nervous about it then you could always wait till you are away at college so that if they don't react how you expect them to then you won't be living with them and won't have to deal with them (unless you are commuting).
    Anyway I'm glad your first coming out went well!

3. Ianthe

Congratulations on your first-ever coming out!

As regards your parents, you don't need to feel bad about not coming out sooner. Your mom seems to know something's up and she wants to make you feel safe telling her; but it seems like you haven't been totally sure yourself for very long. You just weren't ready. Just make sure to thank her for making it so clear that you could tell her when you were ready, and she won't feel bad.

If you decide to come out at school, maybe tell your mom first, since she could then support you if things go bad at school. Since your mom seems so supportive, it might be good to start coming out while you are still living at home, so that she can help you, rather than waiting until you're away and she won't be around. (It's really kind of sad, actually, that most people have to do it the other way, and come out to friends and other people first in order to get enough support that they feel like they can tell their parents.)

4. zoeee

That is true. I am so glad my parents are the way they are and I know I'm extremly lucky. They're awesome :slight_smile: (My mum has so many lesbian friends too whom she always tells me about :lol: )

I would actually love to do it that way - the only problem I see is that noone will ever notice it! I swear! Even my best friend at school always asks me about how I like this guy and that guy...the problem is, I can't be totally "dykey" (I know, I know..) because I am somewhere in between gay and bi, so I do find guys attractive in a way, too...I think the only way for someone to guess it without me telling them would be making out with a girl - don't think that will happen before I come out though, because I'm too much of a chicken to go to a gay youth group or gay bar by myself...and even if, the only person I might be meeting there would be my teacht :lol::lol:

5. straal1972

Thats so great. Even telling one person helps.