1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Wolfy, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Wolfy

Last Wednesday or so, I come out to my mom as being Trans.

I've been talking to my boyfriend for a while, and he helped me build up enough courage to actually get me to talk to her (my mom).
    So, he had to go to bed, and suggested I asked about staying home because I had something on my mind. He left, and I went up to my mom and asked if I could stay home from school. She kept questioning why I wanted to. Then I asked her if I can talk to her downstairs. I sat on the couch really nervous and she asked "What?" maybe twice, and then I said "I'm Trans"
    She went ranting about how I'm not, and I started to cry. She said a lot of things that hurt me deep down, and then her not believing me for how I've acted since I was really young.

My sister eventually came home during when my mom was ranting, and I snuck back to my room and cried.
    The next morning I went to school, but stayed with my counselor the entire day. My mom ended up getting me a therapist visit, which I went to Monday, and I now have an appointment every Wednesday.

So, I guess it turned out good in the long run. But, she tends to give me an attitude every now and again.

2. Eleanor Rigby

First thing, congratulations for coming out to your mother (*hug*) that is a huge step done.
    I understand that the way she reacted hurts you, but I think that you should give her some time. You didn't not exactly told her that you wanted a new hair cut. What you told her is that you feel you're born the wrong gender, and for a mother, it can be a very difficult thing to accept.
    It is already great that she gets you to see a therapist instead of just brushing it of. That means that she considers it is serious, and even if it is difficult for her, she is trying to do what is right for you.
    I give you a link to a Pflag booklet your mother may find useful. Maybe you could give her the link, or print it and read it with her.
    http://community.pflag.org/Document.Doc?id=202
    I hope this can help a little.
    Tale care, (*hug*) Cécile

3. Mr.Pushover

what I think you meant.

#3 Mr.Pushover, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  4. JJ21

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow Congratulations.
    It's sure going to be a long road from here on but I'm really proud.
    My mother would be exactly the same way.
    I think It is very hard on parents they are stuck in such a system. If you look like a girl then surely you are. Infact a girl can dress as tomboy as she wants or shave her hair and people still won't believe.
    Well done keep going strong!

5. Wolfy

Thank you. :3
    Yeah, I have been giving her, her own space and what not.
    I'll have to take a look at PFlag soon. o:
    (*hug*)

Thank you. ^^
    I get mistaken as a guy ALL the time. It feels good when someone calls me Sir. x3

6. Keelin

Awesome job. I would probably have a heart attack if I did that!

7. Hexagon

I used to think I got mistaken for a guy a lot. But then I realised I was being mistaken for a girl occasionally.

I think your mum reacted quite well. Transgender is something so little understood by most people, and the fact that she's coming around so quickly is amazing. I've been out for two months to my parents, and they're still having issues. In a few weeks or months, ask her to use the correct pronouns, but let her just absorb the knowledge. Don't refuse to answer questions, and really try not to get upset when she asks something that she shouldn't.

Also, start presenting as male if you havent already. It can alter her perceptions of you.

8. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

I try not to use the phone, because I get mistaken by a "ma'am." Sometimes when my Mom needs me to call a company, it is easier to say I am her, than my Dad... :tears: