1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my parents last week

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by zerogravity, Mar 11, 2011.

1. zerogravity

So I told my parents last Saturday, while I was visiting with them over spring break. Basically I have known I'm gay since the first time I had a crush on a guy when I was in 7th grade, but I went into denial about it and didnt really accept that I was gay until last October.

My parents and I went for breakfast on Saturday morning. Afterwards, I had about 1 hour before they left on a weekend trip. I was sweating like mad and pacing around the house - I knew I wanted to tell them so i was like "this is it - I'm telling them!". So, I told my mom "I have something important to tell you" - or course she immediately looked at me like I was going to tell her I had cancer or something! She was looking horrified so I immediately told her "dont worry I dont have cancer or anything". She called my father from the other room and i think he was peeing so it took him a while to get into the room. It felt like an eternity...

So basically, once my father got there I said "I'm gay meaning I'm attracted to guys & I've been that way since I was 12 but I was in the closet and thats the reason I dont have a girlfriend". It was exactly like that - one sentence blurted out. My mom seemed happy about it - I dont know how much of it was because she was relieved that it wasn't some terminal disease or if she was genuinely happy about the news.

My dad, on the other hand, was super awkward and said quasi-homophobic things like - "well I dont care what goes on in your bedroom, as long as you dont do it around me", and afterwards when I went to give him a hug he was like "ok, but just dont get too close" - kindof as a joke but it was still super awkward. They gave me the standard "we still love you we dont care that you're gay, yadda yadda". I asked them if they had any idea and they were like "no we had NO idea AT ALL!".

So, I was visiting with my parents for the entire week and I spent a lot of time with them and they didn't mention it again, not even once! I have a feeling that they will probably just never mention it again and pretend that it never happened. I didnt bring it up again because I wanted to give them time to process the news.

So thats my coming out to my parents story - dont know if its good/bad/typical/atypical? Should I continue to bring it up? I don't have a boyfriend or anything so I cant introduce them to anyone + I live kindof far away from them anyways.

2. Sanssouci

Congratulations, let no one underestimate how brave you are to do that!

I hope your parents just need time to process it. I'm sure your dad was just trying to relieve tension and ended up making it more awkward. They'll need time, and hopefully they'll come round to full acceptance. If it was me, I would consider 'the ball is in their court', you've done an unimaginably difficult thing and now it's their job to process it.

However, I wouldn't play along with any 'pretending it never happened' games. If you get a serious boyfriend, then talk to them about him. That could even help them get used to the idea of gay relationships as just like any other, rather than whatever they imagine it to be.

3. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations for coming out to your parents (*hug*). I am glad your mom is loving and supportive, as for you dad he probably just needs some time for the news to sink in. Hopefully he'll come to term with this.

As for bringing it or not, I am not exactly an expert in terms of coming out, but I think the best thing is just to be casual about it. It doesn't really require any in depth conversation if you don't feel the need to, but on occasions, don't hesitate to talk about it (like when there is something LGBT related on the news). And obviously, when you'll have a boyfriend, talk to them about him.

Take care, Cécile

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's always a process of coming to understand and accept unexpected news, referred to as the "stages of loss" which, in this case, refers to the loss of your parents view of you as straight. The stages are denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance.

Some parents process this in minutes, some in weeks or months. It sounds like yours handled it extremely well, but I would guess there is also some denial going on. Give it some time, and if nothing else has been said in a month or two, you might revisit it gently and say something like "I feel like you haven't said another word since I came out to you. Would you like to talk more" and just see what happens.

But on the whole, I think the response you've gotten so far is pretty darn good and you can feel happy you don't have hide this part of yourself any more.

5. EM68

Congrats on coming out to your parents. Like what was said give your parents time. They have their own "coming out" process to go through. Just be there if and when they have questions.

6. Ianthe

It sounds like they responded pretty well, actually. Your mom was fine, and your dad was just uncomfortable, rather than hostile. Uncomfortable he'll get over, at least mostly. (He might never be comfortable talking about gay sex, but you probably wouldn't really want him to anyway.)

You might want to send them to the PFLAG website, for whatever support they might need. For example, they might have their own fears about how people will respond to them as the parents of a gay person, just as we often have fears about how people will respond to us when they know we're gay. So, it's nice for them to have that resource. You could also look up the PFLAG chapter that is closest to them.

Just let them know that you've been thinking about what they might be going through, and you wanted them to have whatever help they might need. Tell them they can ask you any questions they might have, but that sometimes it might be easier or more comfortable for them to ask someone else, in which case they can talk to someone at PFLAG.

In the future, don't be afraid to talk about it when you want to or it's pertinent. There are various reasons why they may not have brought it up--they may not know what to say, really. I don't think you have to wait until they bring it up themselves.

7. zerogravity

Thanks for the advice! I think it went as well as I expected it to. It was surreal though - when I was telling them I couldnt believe I was actually going through with it!!

My dad was always making gay jokes when I was growing up - which was tough for me. Hearing all the jokes and criticisms, especially comng from my dad, made me super ashamed. I was good at sports and I didn't act effeminate and girls were always coming after me so in their eyes I had to be straight! I think this made it extra-tough for me growing up - like I had to keep it a huge secret.

I'm just glad I told them, and honestly except for the nervousness beforehand and the awkwardness of it all it wasnt really as difficult as I thought it would be. I really feel so much better - I hope it doesnt take months/years for my parents to "come out" to having a gay son.

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2011 at 12:32 PM ----------

LOL Ianthe - I would NEVER talk to my dad about gay sex. He tried to talk to me about puberty when I was 13 and I was like "yeah dad that started like a year ago and we learnt about everyting in school". He never mentioned anything about sex or dating again.

If you knew my parents - they are super polite and never pry or gossip about anyone! They are seriously like the people in the Borat at lunch episode :icon_bigg

#7 zerogravity, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  8. Ianthe

I think months is more likely than years, really. It will take them a little time to process it, though, probably.

If they are that polite, that may be the reason they haven't brought it up again. I don't think you need to worry about talking about it.

9. straal1972

First off, CONGRATS :eusa_clap I am so glad that they took it well. Don't read to much into the fact that they haven't spoken about it since. Think if you were straight, would you want them prying into your sex life...i'm thinking no. They just need a bit of time to process the new information. You've been processing it since you were 12, give them a bit of time.

I came out to my 84y/o dad 2 weeks ago. I'm 38. We have never spoken about bedroom things, differences between men and women, where babies came from. Actually we have never spoken about matters which required anything less then bathing suits on.... and NOW he decides that we need to have the birds and bees talk.....LOL.....AWKWARD to say the least....

Thanks for sharing

10. zerogravity

So...it's been over a week since I came back from visiting my parents but they still haven't called me or anything! I was debating calling my Mom to tell her that I told my sister. I really want to avoid talking to my dad - its just so awkward. He probably views me totally differently now.

Maybe they want to avoid talking to me? I shouldn't read too much into this, I know. I'm probably overtired because somebody called me with a wrong number at 5am and I couldn't get back to sleep! I feel terrible right now :icon_sad:

11. Psychedelic

Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish I had that kind of bravery... Kudos!! :slight_smile:

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I doubt your dad views you differently, and I also doubt that they are actively avoiding you. More likely, they just feel a little awkward and are trying to adjust. I think for most parents, talking about anything sexual is just as awkward whether their kid is straight or gay... but when you're gay there are other elements that come into play that just tend to make it a bit uncomfortable.

Give it a little time... and you can take the initiative in talking to them, and if they don't mention anything, you can let it be for a while... but then you can, after a while, just gently bring it up and say that you sense they're a little uncomfortable and just sort of open the discussion that way, and they will likely take the opportunity and talk more about it.

It's great that you've gotten past that hurdle and now it's just a matter of letting them adjust to the news.

13. straal1972

Do you usually speak to them every week? If you don't,then don't worry about it. If you do.....don't worry about it either. You can just call them up and tell them you love them and will always love them. Speaking as a parent...we love that shit...lol. (don't worry to much about the 'telling them your gay' part, and what their reactions are, they WILL come around, they are your parents and will always love you.)

14. zerogravity

Thanks - I will just call to say hi and tell them I love them. We usually speak at least once a week, and especially under the circumstances I figure they would call. I guess I'll avoid bringing it up (for now).

15. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi zerogravity

I would give it another two or three weeks before bringing it up unless they do first.Just give them some time to process this new part of you.

During this time you should act just the same as usual,if you call weekly to say hi,do it.Acting as normal will help them see that you are still you,suddenly being gay does not make you a differant person.If you can carry on as normal they will soon notice that being gay is only a small part of who you are and you are still the person they raised.

Well done,the hardest part is over.

16. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats and I'm in awe of your courage! :slight_smile: I'm glad your parents took it well, albeit your dad coulda been nicer, but probably just trying to lighten the mood. I would tell them about other people you came out to that they know or funny things people said and how good it makes you feel that your fears of rejection didn't come true. I would talk about gay issues that come up in the news. I would tell them if you start dating a guy especially if it gets serious. I'm not saying bring up a gay related topic each time you speak, but right now this is exciting to you and they should realize how happy it makes you to have positive coming out experiences and to be free from hiding/avoiding this part of you. :slight_smile:

17. zerogravity

Looking back at it - it was pretty obvious that I was gay growing up. It is easy for parents to ignore it though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: My dad is just homophobic - actually both of my parents are a bit.

But anyways, they had already been through the whole 5 stages of grief way before I told them, they just needed the confirmation. They are getting through their homophobia though - my mom in particular seemed happy that I told her. My dad - well, I guess it was awkward for him because the thought of two guys together is weird for a straight guy. If I was a lesbian girl I think he would have had an easier time :icon_bigg

18. confusedxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You're so brave.
    I'm 210% sure my parents would disown me, so I just keep my mouth shut, but I really admire your courage.
    Congratulations!! You should be really, really proud of yourself. I don't even know you, and /I'm/ proud of you. :slight_smile:

19. zerogravity

Thanks confusedxx - I admire people who come out socially before they come out to their parents. For me, my family was relatively easy - it's friends that I'm having a hard time with. I just can't get the words out!

20. Saikou7

I agree; My family was no problem. I'm having a harder time with friends.

Congrats!(!)