1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pretty bad attempt at coming out..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Psychedelic, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Psychedelic

Out Status:
    A few people
    Tried to tell one of my friends... She thought it was a joke. I tried to convince her it wasn't, but she sure it was. Then she said it would be weird if I liked guys. Sigh....

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... maybe she's secretly lusting after you, in which case she doesn't *want* to accept that you're gay. But regardless, even though she thought it was a joke, I guarantee you she's sitting at home and thinking things through and running over that conversation in her head.

My guess is, if you bring it up again, even very gently, she'll "get it"... and then she will probably be your first "fag hag" :slight_smile:

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just keep trying to get her to accept it. Keep bringing it up.

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are no "bad" attempts at coming out, well maybe syk writing....this same thing happened to me, only is was big group of co-workers. They all thought it was a joke, but got the point over time.

You're friend may have been deflecting, maybe she just wasn't ready to hear it. She'll come around, you've had time to get used to being gay, she hasn't give her that time then tell her it was no joke.

5. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

Chip, I don't know if that'd work because he is bi.

But give her time, and don't deny it. It should sink in. Congrats for telling her though :slight_smile: Her reaction could have been worse, she could have totally disowned you, which makes me hopeful that in the near future, she will probably think about it more and reconsider. good luck, Keep us updated! :slight_smile:

6. Ianthe

Yeah, possibly part of the problem is the tendency people have to not take bisexuality very seriously.

(Also, if she thinks that bisexual men are actually gay and in denial, then what Chip said may work.)