1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to a coworker and close friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by preacherskid83, Mar 22, 2011.

1. preacherskid83

Well at work today, I followed my friend a coworker outside for a some break, and I kind of blurted everything out. I'm glad I did, because we spoke for about an hour and she seems extremely supportive. Told me when I finally come out to my wife that I should expect drama (duh, can I blame her though?).
    The first person I've told went well. I hope that's par for the course!

2. DougieBoy

DougieBoy Guest

YAAAAAAAY! Congrats! Goodluck with your wife! I can't help you there since I'm not married.

3. Ianthe

Congratulations! The first time is hard, probably the hardest except for your wife or your parents. It's brave, to finally say it out loud.

Most people do respond well. In my experience, bad reactions have been in the extreme minority. On the other hand, I mostly have liberal friends.

Yes, there will be some drama with your wife, which is only understandable. From what I remember from your other thread, though, it's not like it's coming out of nowhere. You even said she asks you frequently if you think you are gay. And it doesn't sound like she hates or is disgusted by gay people, although of course the end of your relationship will upset her, since she's in love with you.

Keep going, it will be all right. It was a big step, telling your friend.

4. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations (*hug*) That is a huge step done already.

5. straal1972

Wowee...congratz PK. Its a hard thing to do, but so releiving when done. Did you ask her to keep the information to herself, or do you mind other people at work knowing?

6. preacherskid83

I did mention to her that it doesn't leave the room. She feels for my wife, too. I told her to imagine if her husband suddenly came up and delivered that news.
    She agrees that I should hit a couple PFLAG meetings before I tell her, too.

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That's awesome. Congrats! :slight_smile:

Actually, at the PFLAG meeting that I went to,I met a gay guy who is int he closet and is married and also happens to have a son that just came out to them. I could only admire his courage in telling a room full of strangers about his story.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

8. preacherskid83

Well, apparently a coworker overheard this conversation and is now spreading it through the company. My boss cornered me the other day and flat out asked me if I was gay. Good thing I'm starting to feel proud of it... Is it possible to be scared to death of something and proud of it at the same time?

9. EM68

Absolutely! I felt the same way for a while before I was totally out. Especially in a work environment. I was at a point were I felt for the most part comfortable part being who I am. The only exception was at work. I work with a diverse group of people. Many who I knew was not (or I thought) accepting of gays. Once I came out at work everyone has been supportive and I've grown closer to a few of them.

10. dylangoelz

dylangoelz Guest

Oh man I feel for you deep inside my heart it is deffinitely something hard to tell a loved one I told one of my ex girl friends that I was bi and well she kinda distanced herself from me. But not everyone is a jerk like her she was childish about it and I hope your wife isnt.

Good luck

11. straal1972

Most definately. I would at the very least now...plan what you will say when asked/confronted about this, so that you're not caught off guard. Practice in the mirror, works really well. If this information is going out to the company, then you don't have control of who will know and whom they will tell. Please keep that in mind, I don't know how much contact your wife and friends have with your co-workers, but they may hear it from someone there.

Congratz are in order. Its not easy.