1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All down, now it's my family...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by IanGallagher, Apr 6, 2011.

1. IanGallagher

I can officially say that all my friends know that I'm bi and everyone accepts me. My future roommate hasn't deterred his plans due to rooming with a half gay dude. My best friend is still my "brother." My other friends are all film guys and they congratulated me rather than act shocked - hey, we're film guys... it's common knowledge how we roll.

Since the coming out process started I've regained my self-esteem. Whereas before I hid from life, I feel a need to "go where the people are." I'm healthier. I feel free. I finally know what was causing me all that pain over the years. Because coming out of the closet? I've never felt this good in years.

Now it's all up to me telling my parents and family. Not looking forward to that one. My Dad's half homophobic. When I told him that a school friend's gay he said he was 'glad' I wasn't that way. I had to play along with it. But that killed me a little on the inside. Plus, similarly to Bobby Griffith's story (although different, just related to parts of it), I'm the "favorite" plus everyone on the outside looking in thinks we're the 'perfect' family with the 'perfect' parents. Thus, anything can happen. I know my Dad doesn't like the idea of me being gay - not even half gay. Who knows...

So, that's gonna be a challenge. But I have new LGBT friends behind me. My straight friends behind me. And I'm starting to have a girlfriend. Even though it feels awkward and comical telling my parents I like guys and have a girlfriend I like. Thus, everything in my life is going great. I have a well balanced support structure. Now it's time for the hardest step of all...

#1 IanGallagher, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. Daryn

Why are there eggs scrambling in the street?
    Good luck :slight_smile: I'm happy that telling your friends was such a positive step for you.

3. Eleanor Rigby

Hi and welcome to EC :slight_smile:
    Congratulations for coming out to your friends, I am glad that you get so much support.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that things are going to go fine with your parents.
    Let us know how it goes.
    Take care, Cécile

4. IanGallagher

Told my sister, we somewhat talked about guys we liked and I created THIS video to come out to my parents with. I can only imagine how new a concept like bisexuaity will be to them. Thus, this video shows the hardships we've gone through to accept who we are, what it is and at the end of the day seeing it as a gift - we're twice as lucky.

5. reallyrandomguy

First of all, congratulations for having such supportive friends!
    I really like the video as well. It's well cut, and will hopefully be a great tool!
    Good luck coming out to your parents!