1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

...So I guess I'm out now?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by steel03, Apr 10, 2011.

1. steel03

At least in my everyday life...
    If you had told me at the beginning of the school year that I would be out before Easter, I would never have believed you. I was barely even "out to myself" in August. I told my first person in January, and then the subject was just kind of dropped until a week ago, when I told my second and third people. Then last night, after telling my fourth friend, I finally decided it wasn't worth it for me to keep going through this for every single person in my friend group and told her I was okay with the others knowing. So now I guess it's common knowledge! Not really sure how that feels yet. I haven't actually had any human interaction so far today, haha.
    There is one more person at my school I probably need to tell personally before I will feel like it's really not a secret anymore, at least at college. This guy and I have been friends since we were born. We're month and nine days apart, we grew up together, we're both really important in one another's lives. So I feel like it would be rude for him to hear it from someone other than me. He's definitely straight, and while he's really big into equal rights and saving the world and environmental protection and a billion other causes, I've been able to tell that he truly has no idea what we actually go through (personally, not legally). But I think it will be a great conversation. I know he will accept it. I think he'll be a little surprised, but I know he won't have a problem with it. And I think it will only strengthen our friendship. We'll see how that works out, I suppose.
    After that, before I feel like I can change my Facebook status, I think I need to tell my parents (and, by extension, the rest of my family) and a couple of my high school friends. I envision myself just telling one or two friends via Facebook IM or something, but I'm not totally sure how I'll go about telling my parents yet. I've thought about writing them a letter, but that won't work when I'm home for the summer. Maybe 20 questions? We'll see.
    Right now, though, I'm just trying to come to terms with the fact that I'm not in hiding anymore, and that feels great. :slight_smile:

2. knight of ni

Well done on your coming outs to friends! That great feeling continues!

As for telling your parents, whatever method feels best for you is the way to go. Some methods are better than others. If you're at home, and you know you can manage it, asking to sit down with them and have a conversation is usually the best way.

Waiting until the whole family is at the 4th of July bbq and shouting, "Hey Mom! Would you please pass the ketchup... to a homosexual!" is not a good way.

Good luck!

3. InaRut

Hahahahahahaha, I dunno that sounds kind of awesome. No, seriously, don't do that. :lol:

Writing a letter could always be useful but the best way to do it is the ole band-aid technique. Sit your parents down say, "I've got something to tell you" and go from there :slight_smile:

4. steel03

Ahahahahahaha, that's hilarious, but no, I don't think I'll be taking that route. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice, guys. Apparently this girl has told all but one of my friends, but no one has said anything yet. Ready for this to be over!

5. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Awww, I'm so happy for you. Congrats! ^_^

6. Ianthe

Incidentally, straight people may have no idea how to bring it up. So, they might not ever do so. If you know they know, you can feel free to refer to it with them without them bringing it up. Just pretend it's all been discussed before (which it actually kind of has).

They also might not be sure you know she told them--it's possible that they don't want to bring it up because they are afraid that you won't be comfortable discussing it.