1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just came out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by xashesxx, Apr 20, 2011.

1. xashesxx

xashesxx Guest

Ok, so after an entirely way too long amount of time, I finally came out to my best friend. I have been trying to figure out exactly what I want so I had a hard time saying it, and eventually I just told her to try and guess what I'm trying to tell her, and that none of her guesses will offend me. Well, she guessed right off the bat. "Is it something to do with your sexual orientation?" Kinda caught me off guard. So, I guess she figured this out like 2 years ago, and I've kinda known about myself being gay for about four. She, I guess, isn't the only one I know that has thought this. I guess I never hid it well, but it wasn't like I was trying too. I guess deep down I've always known that I was, and it was only a matter of time before I finally accepted who I was, and came out. I guess she knew, but didn't want to say something, and be wrong. She was afraid of pissing me off, and the entire time, I was afraid of basically scaring her off! I started out, before she "guessed", saying that I didn't want anything to change. She's been my best friend for nearly ten years now, and we've been through a lot. She's now pregnant and I'm going to be "auntie" and the baby's godmother. So I told her that if she was going to write me out of her life (not that I wanted to, or really thought she would) that I wanted her to do it now, before I met this little baby who I would grow so very attatched to, so very quickly. I guess deep down I knew she wouldn't reject me for who I was. She is like my sister, and now we know everything. It's all out there. I have no more secrets. It feels amazing to actually have someone to talk to. She also knows of a counselor that I can talk to about all of this as well.

I don't know what I was expecting from her. But I can honestly say I am so very happy that I still have my best friend in my life. I know having her to talk to will make the rest of this much easier. She knows she's the only person that I have talked to about this. I told her I wasn't really worried about what our "friends" think. Cuz, honestly, if they have a problem with it, then I don't really need them in my life. I'm worried about family. She said the same thing though, "who cares what they think, it's not their life". Nothing makes me feel better than knowing that I haven't lost my best friend. And, obviously, nothing will change, since she has pretty much known for a couple years now. I feel so much better. We both know it's going to be difficult, but she's there for me, and she knows she'll need to be there when I am ready to totally come out. I should have just come out long ago, she kept waiting for me to, and I kept trying to find the right words.

2. TraceElement

Congrats! The first few people you tell are often the hardest... but it DOES get better. :slight_smile:

3. xashesxx

xashesxx Guest

Yeah, that was difficult. Its going to take time. But, I'm happy to know I have her support.

4. Vandycamp

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's such a fantastic story! So wonderful to hear you have such a supportive friend. I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I have one friend I told recently who was amazing. My parents and sister know too. They're cool with it but we probably won't talk about it. That's just the way we are. It's very nice to have a friend to talk to. Congratulations!

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Congrats for having the courage to finally do it! :slight_smile:

Really glad she took it well :slight_smile:

6. xashesxx

xashesxx Guest

Thank you! I don't know if I would have had the courage to come out at all if i hadnt found this site. My friend. texted me this morning and I knw for sure that nothing is going to change. I dont think I cojld have asked for a better friend.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your best friend! It's great that it went well and that nothing is going to change. Way to go! :slight_smile:

8. raven23

congratulations :slight_smile: