1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Mom knows, Dad will know soon

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by IanGallagher, Apr 20, 2011.

1. IanGallagher

Hearing the stories of how parents can take it badly. I was really nervous.

Well, I came out to my Mom:

Me: You know Billie Joe Armstrong, James Dean, Marlon Brando, etc. well I have something in common with all of them... I'm bi.

Mom: Okay.

Me: I'm bi... (no response, like she didn't hear it) I just told you I'm bisexual.

Mom: I know, you said that.

Lol. I wasn't sure since she reacted as plainly as though I just said my name.

She's going to tell my Dad. It's easier that way. I told her a lot, including the first guy I really fell for when I was sixteen. Even though I don't see myself getting married to a guy, might happen, don't know. Romantic leanings are towards girls. She said she would be fine if I did. That really put my mind at ease being a Kinsey 2-4 and my fluctuations, because I know whatever way I go she'll be behind me.

It really feels surreal. Can't believe I just did it. But, I am officially OUT. :thumbsup:

#1 IanGallagher, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  2. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done :slight_smile: wish I could do that.

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That's awesome!! Really happy that your mom took it so well hahah

Congrats! :slight_smile:

4. IanGallagher

My Dad's not okay with it. Finds it "unusual" girls will still date me now that I'm bisexual. Extremely awkward lol. Acts a lot like Michael Keaton's character in 'The Other Guys.' But, didn't really expect him to be overjoyed finding out he had a half-gay son... according to others though the awkwardness goes away with time. Not disowning me or cutting me off or wanting to cure me. Just "it's your life" said with resignation....

Yep, something's changed. I can handle though.

5. Holmes

Well done on going through the coming out conversation. Whatever you think their reaction will be, it is an awkward conversation.

Don't worry too much about your father for now. It does happen like that often. I came out to both together, and my father was more awkward about it. My mother acknowledged as much at the time, that it is stranger for the same-sex parent, and a close lesbian friend of mine said the same thing.

6. IanGallagher

Today was definitely their anger stage - it played out near exactly similar to this scene. My Dad kept on insisting it was a stage, that I wouldn't know - the levee broke and I found myself telling him exactly how I knew. Including checking out the quarterback in high school. I know I didn't act exactly right accordingly, like I should have been prepared - but, still I was not prepared for their anger stage. :tantrum:

7. Eleanor Rigby

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry you're having to deal with their anger but... as you surmised, that's part of their process. I think your mom was as calm as she was because it hadn't really hit her. And I think your dad just took less time to process the denial.

They will get over it. It sucks in the in-between stages, but at the end, you, and they, will have a much closer relationship.

9. suninthesky

I hope it gets better soon. I also agree with that parent awkwardness thing. Whenever my dad used to talk about future dating/relationships he would always say something including girlfriend instead of the ordinary boyfriend. My mom, however makes comments when watching t.v. that are totally opposite of that.

10. The Dudeh

The Dudeh Guest

That's awesome, well done :3!