1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's never too late!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Tristar, May 7, 2011.

1. Tristar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am a late bloomer.

While I was aware of my orientation years ago, I fought it...vehemently. Why? I wish I had a definitive answer. Maybe it was because of my location (conservative midwest town). Maybe it was because of low self-esteem (a problem I've had since my teens). Who knows? But there it is.

Now, at 45, something just happened. Some wires crossed (or perhaps uncrossed) and suddenly I felt silly and untrue. Suddenly I simply accepted who I was and damned be those who might reject my newfound self!

I am blessed that my parents are both still living. I told mother first. She cried a little (she does that sometimes) but accepted the reality with a loving heart. My brothers (both older) were next. "Meh," was the general tone of their response. "Whatever." Next was sister, who was effusive with her congratulations! "Good for you!"

Then, Dad. Oh boy. He was quiet at first. Perhaps a little glaze over his eyes. But then came a somewhat reserved acceptance (or at least acknowledgement). I left wondering when we might next talk. A week later he calls. "Pizza?" he asks. Of course! Things are okay (maybe not the same, but okay). I sighed in relief.

Now, my all my immediate family knows. I am gay. I am free. Life is good.

Who knows what happens next...but I wait in eager anticipation! I've only just begun to live.

2. Cathulu

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations! There's nothing wrong with being a late bloomer at all. ^^ That's a boat some of us share, and I'm glad to hear your coming out to your family went relatively well (that's still something I haven't done...).

All in all... well done! And good for you! (&&&)

3. stageone

Congrats Tristar! Happy for you :slight_smile:

4. Hexagon

Congrats. Coming out for teenagers is hard enough, but when your family has seen you as being straight for 45 years, must be even harder for them to accept. Good luck with the rest of your life XD

5. Tristar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks all for the kind words!

I have to admit, the process has been much better than I could have imagined. I have such a wonderful family.

I know not everyone contemplating coming out will have such good fortune and I wish I could sprinkle the tolerance shown to me so far on to everyone's family and friends! Instead I will think happy thoughts.

As an aside, I think all posts should end with a dancing banana!

(!)

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC!

And, as I like saying, welcome to the other side. Life kicks ass over here. :slight_smile:

Lex

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Congrats! Really amazing that you decided to come out and start living your life how you are supposed to. Best of luck with everything :slight_smile:

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, Tristar! Great that you've joined EC, and even better that you've shared your story with us.

Coming out late in life is always a challenge for a variety of reasons. One of my friends who is 72 now came out only 2 or 3 years ago, after raising a family. He's happier than he's ever been, and enjoying his newly-found authentic self.

In addition to the freedom to be who you really are, I suspect you'll also find your emotions opening up too... and that's quite the interesting experience after having lived inauthentically for so long! Congratulations on your journey, it's inspiring to others, and I encourage you to stick around and continue to share your experiences with the EC community.

9. Vandycamp

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's so fantastic! So happy for you! :slight_smile:

10. KneeDragger

Congrats. That was almost like me telling my parents a year ago. Feels good to have that out of the way, doesn't it?

11. Tristar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Abso-fraggin-lutely! :grin:

(!)

12. Dykezz

Congrats with your coming out! It is never to late to start living your life truthfully!!

13. bryan176

I have always said life is too short so some people it takes them time to figure out who they are. I thought I was a late bloomer comming out at age 20 but you top me off. I am glad you found who you are and hope you find that special someone where ever he may be.