1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kicking open the closet!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Saikou7, May 16, 2011.

1. Saikou7

I changed my "Interested In" on Facebook to men, and it's staying that way. Honestly, I don't think anyone besides my best friend (who I was already out to) has noticed. :lol:

I'm going to be completely open about it at school. I'm done with hiding. :thumbsup:
    It came out of nowhere really, I guess I was just tired of hiding the real me. Who knows? I'm out to everyone now, and that's all that matters. Right now I'm on a high of freedom and it feels wonderful!

I want to thank the whole community of EC for giving me the courage to do this. I really love this place! (&&&)

I'm afraid of bad reactions later on when more people find out, though. :dry: Any advice to deal with that or losing friends? :help:

2. Hot Pink

Yes! Kick down that friggin' door! Don't look back! Wooo!!

Also, I'm not 100% sure about losing people. I haven't lost anyone after coming out.

3. Raeil

Awesome job! I'm super excited for you! :grin:

I'm doing the same thing within a month, once I've finished coming out to close friends and the rest of the family, and I can't wait!

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People who are real friends won't give a shit whether you're straight or gay. Some may have a difficult time at first, and take a little while to process it and be ok with it, but they'll come around.

People that ditch you because you are gay are people who weren't real friends in the first place. The best thing you can do is give people space, not react strongly (as hard as that sounds) if people say rude things, and realize that in a way, many of them will have to go through the same process you went through (denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance) in accepting that you're gay. I think you'll be surprised to find that, over time, nobody really gives a shit, except the bigots and assholes, and who wants them as friends anyway? :slight_smile:

5. ToTheCeilingFan

You go dude! Kudos for awesomeness and courage. <3

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That's awesome! Congrats on taking the plunge!

Like chip said, none of your real friends will care at all. Some might need some time to completely be ok with it, but they will come around. The ones who care so much that they can't be your friend anymore are worthless.

As for bad reactions just ignore them and brush them off. Just by coming out you are tougher and have more courage than anyone that makes fun of you for being gay. Take pride in that and keep looking up :slight_smile:

7. Saikou7

Thanks so much everyone! (&&&)
    It means a lot to me :slight_smile:

8. Lolguy

Great job! I wish I could have come out like that on my own terms too, but it's so nice to see a story where someone is actually in control of something like this.
    And yes, real friends will stick by you no matter what. I really hope everything goes well.

9. borntosurvive

You're a lot braver than I am. I've contemplated doing exactly what you did a couple of times, but every time I get too scared and don't. Optimistically, I'd like to do it the last day of my senior year, but I don't know if I'll even be ready then.

10. bryan176

Great Job! Yu are doing better then me so far. Most of my family still doesn't KNow.

11. Lotty

Dark place, that closet, isn't it?
    I so feel like doing the same, but I'm afraid to.
    But you are so brave!!!
    Get out there and kick ass!!!

12. Saikou7

You guys have the courage in you. Take your time if you need to. (&&&)

Hell, it has been 2 days and my quality of life has already increased a ton. I feel absolutely liberated, especially after being in the closet so long. I've had mostly great responses so far. The only people who ditched me were 4 guys who used to be my friends. I knew they were asses before and that's why I stopped talking to them. Who needs 'em? :icon_wink

13. EM68

Congrats on coming out! Now enjoy your life!:slight_smile:

14. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You did awesome and I admire your courage :thumbsup:

As for those asshats, you don't need them and they are becoming more and more the minority. Soon they will be rejected for having such an ignorant reaction to GLBT people and they will dump their prejudice pretty quickly. For most people at your age it's an act to dislike gay people I'm hoping. They just do and say what they think is "cool" to fit in, so once it's unpopular to hate on GLBT people, it will stop. Hmm, maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I hope we quickly get to that point.

Anyway, congrats and I wish you a great end to your school year and a fantastic summer (!)