1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suppose my story should be here

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Lolguy, May 18, 2011.

1. Lolguy

Yay for coming out stories!

Before I was involved with all of the stupid harassment and drama of people spilling my secret to absolutely anyone who would listen, I was out to some friends and the family.

My Sophomore year in high school is when I realized I was gay. It was pretty damn awkward for me, but it didn't take to long for me to come to terms with it. That being said, I was far too scared to tell anyone about it. I'm a pretty antisocial, withdrawn person, so friends are few and far in between. "I won't have any friends left if I tell them all that I'm gay," I would often tell myself.

So for the next couple of years, I struggled with depression, loneliness, and a suicide attempt because I was just too scared to tell anyone about who I was. Nothing else much happened in that time except for all of that crap. But at the beginning of this year, my senior year, I finally decided that it was time to suck it up and start telling people.

Most of my friends were ok with it. There was really only one "friend" who had a problem with it, and he's the one who outed it to anyone who listened.

But since that has happened, I've decided to go a bit further. Since I figured it would get back to them eventually, I decided to tell my parents. This happened last night.

Oh how nervous I was. I figured my parents wouldn't have much of a problem with it, but even with that knowledge, it was hard to tell them. Nevertheless, I worked up the courage to do so.

I interrupted my mom while she was doing something not all that important online. Asking to talk to her, she turned away from the computer and faced me. Having her full attention, I proceeded. I reminded her about all of the depression and crap that I had gone through in the past couple of years, and she listened in silence. Finally, after the recap, I told her I was gay.

She merely looked at me and said, "Oh, ok. I sort of figured. Also, you should probably tell your dad."

I was completely stunned. It wasn't even that big of a deal to her. Completely shocked, I decided to call my dad. I told him the same thing, and his reaction was essentially the same as my mother's. It was so much better than I could have hoped for.

As for my brother, he's ten, so I'm not sure how well he really understands it. But he realizes that hating gay people is a completely stupid and ignorant thing to do. He told me after I told him about me being gay (might as well tell him since I'm telling everyone else, right?) and he told me, "Oh really? Well, that's ok. I don't exactly understand why it's a big deal, and why some people don't like gay people."

So while nothing remarkable, I got that off of my chest before it came back to my parents from someone else.

Now I guess I'm, well, "free."

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on coming out to your parents!
    A lot of times, it seems moms and dads already have suspicions about their children's sexual orientation.

3. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congrats!

Sometimes I wonder if the world wouldn't be a better place if we let little kids run everything. :slight_smile: