1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused about my sexuality

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by gizmo, May 23, 2011.

1. gizmo

I am a 33 year old woman who is just starting to discover that I am\ might be a lesbian?.
    Up until 6 months ago I was in a relationship with a man for 14 years. We split up three weeks ago. I joined a gym about a year ago and started to do some fitness classes where I met a female fitness instructor. I am physically and emotionally attracted to this woman.
    Is it possible to discover your sexual orientation in your thirties?
    Where do I go from here?
    Any advice is most welcome.
    Thank you

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it possible to discover your sexual orientation in your thirties?
    Yes.

Where do I go from here?
    Well, your being honest with yourself, so thats good. Explore your sexuality, nothing wrong with going on dates with women or having sex with women. Just be safe.

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is totally possible to discover your sexual orientation at any time in your life. You have definately come to the right place, I would say you have now begun the journey of discovery and acceptance just take your time to explore your new found feelings and enjoy yourself, but feel feel to chat to everyone here and ask any questions.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

As it was mentioned above, yes, it is possible to discover your sexual orientation later in life. Sexual identities are fluid and they can evolve over time.

As it was mentioned above, a good starting point would be to try accepting yourself first and be comfortable with your sexual identity. You have started talking about it, which is already something to be proud off, because starting to talk about ones sexual identity is hard.

Perhaps what would help you is trying to find a LGBT support group for women. Joining a support group could provide you with invaluable moral support and a feeling of not feeling/being alone. Sometimes, being able to talk about your feelings with someone can help in processing as to what is happening and also in starting the journey of self-acceptance.

EC is a wonderful place too. Never worry about writing all of your feelings out and trying to make sense of them that way. Getting used to the 'new' you could take some time, but if you take your time, and give yourself the permission to explore your feelings, the 'easier' you will also make it on yourself. (*hug*)

5. gizmo

Hi All,

Thanks for your advice. I am going to suss out a LGBT support group in my local area and hopefully meet some new friends.

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great let us know how you get on.