1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i just updated my facebook...can't tell if what i'm feeling is regret...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by addie88, May 24, 2011.

1. addie88

i changed the "interested in" section on my profile from blank to both men and women. it was really easy to do...i was on the phone with my best friend, and she's just like, "do it!" so i did it.
    about an hour later, i realized what i had just done...this was yesterday, and i still feel torn about it. there's this weird knot of worry in my chest, which is totally irrational because literally 20 people already knew (i counted :grin:). in the end i'm not really worried what other people think...but...it's so BLATANTLY OBVIOUS. all you have to do is press "info" and there it is.
    honestly, i feel anxiety and fear. and a little bit of excitement. but mostly fear. like, i really want to get a girlfriend- that was part of the motivation....how could i get a girl if nobody knew i wanted one? but still...i think about this decision i made a lot. will it go away with time? should i change it back and wait longer?
    i hate processes! haha.

thanks for reading.

2. Raeil

Oh the anxiety is definitely normal! Heck, I haven't even changed mine yet (to Men from no option selected) and I get scared every time I think about it! You've taken a great step which is tough to make, and I think your fear and anxiety will fade with time. Congratulations!!! :eusa_clap

3. Just Passing

Well done.

I would actually do this on my own Facebook page too, but I'd feel guilty revealing my sexuality online first before my closest relatives., though I've told many people I know by now. Double standards I guess, but I'm just strange.

Still, it's a difficult step to take for some people and it's nice to hear you were able to do it, so congratulations and well done. (!) :eusa_clap

4. mk139

I was just the same (I love it on here when people say exactly how you feel/felt) you describe it perfectly, I even said exactly the same thing to myself and friends - how will I ever get a girlfriend if no one knows I want one? (although this hasn't worked out for me yet :frowning2:)

It goes away eventually, and it may seem like it's really obvious and exposed but honestly I had to tell people to look at it because no one saw... I felt really stupid because I had gotten worked up over nothing, I expected to see everyone the next day and they'd all be like 'hey, I saw on fb you're gay!' instead they all just thought I was being weirdly excited and hyped up for no reason...

5. addie88

thanks guys. i'm feeling a little more comfortable now. and to mk319, we sound really similar. we should hang out sometime....too bad i live in the US. lol

6. Dr Acula

I assumed it was going to be one huge thing, and everyone would come rushing up to me who I'd not told in person and start talking about it. They didn't, so I just went with the tack that if it's on Facebook, everyone automatically knows, seems to work :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Holmes

I think this is a fair consideration. If there is anyone you would to tell in person, you might want to do that first, but don't leave that as an excuse indefinitely. Remember, everyone will know eventually, and you won't be able to control how they find out all the time.