1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here we go!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by TheEdend, May 27, 2011.

1. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Some back story:

I've been completely out of the closet for about a year and some time now, and everything has be amazing and beyond the wildest of my expectations. I know, its sounds super cheesy and blah, blah, blah, but it really has been an amazing journey. Either way, when I came out, they asked me to wait for them to be ready for me to tell my extended family. Since then I have been waiting anxiously for that moment to come. You have to idea how much I want to finally be out to everyone. Its something that both terrifies me and excites me at the same time, and its something I need to do so I can finally get over this whole coming out deal.

SO, here it is. The time to start telling my extended family about me has finally come and I couldn't be more scared! xD My parents already told me I could tell my everyone after my sister graduates.. and I actually plan on doing it the day after so I can tell them face to face since they don't live in this country. We'll see how that goes.

Since telling everyone at the same time its gong to be too hard, I decided to do it little by little. I'm going to tell the easy people first and then work my way to my grandparents...thats going to be a tough one.

First on the list is my aunt from my dad's side of the family. A clinical psychologist who already knows about my cousin who is a lesbian so it shouldn't be too hard, but still nervous... I'll be calling her this week.

Either way, I wrote this thread to make myself do it and not allow myself to back down. I'll keep you guys updated. Wish me luck!! xD :slight_smile:

(I'm far too nervous to proof read this, so :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

2. EM68

Good luck Gus! You will do fine! btw your grammer and spelling are fine. :slight_smile:

3. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Good luck,you have the strength to do it.

4. HantsBen

Good luck to you (*hug*)

5. Just Passing

All the best. :slight_smile:

6. jimL

Good luck and hopefully I won't be far behind you. I haven't even taken the first step yet .....baby steps. Right?

7. Raeil

Good luck! I hope you can stick to a plan of individual discussions, and that your grandparents are accepting!

8. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    Gah! Good luck!

Sounds a bit terrifying and similar to what I'm planning to do this summer, but including my parents.

9. Sadepeura

Good luck! That is a big and terrifying step, but I'm sure that once you get started with your aunt, the rest will be easier. :slight_smile:

10. HantsBen

How are you getting on with it? :slight_smile:

11. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Thanks for the support guys :slight_smile:

It's going...very slowly. My aunt doesn't really check her email too often, so still waiting for her reply.

Sent her an email telling her that I needed to talk to her about something important and to let me know when it would be a good time to talk alone. She still hasn't replied and I'm waiting. Granted that I'm nervous about it and I haven't pushed too hard xD, but I'm going to call her on friday, if she hasn't replied by then, and then see when we could talk. Or maybe I'll be so nervous that I'll just tell her right there and then. Since when is coming out so nerve wracking all over again?!

I still don't know exactly what to say, but I'm planning on going with it and seeing what happens. My original plan was to tell her via email, but my dad asked me to do it over the phone since he feels its more formal (not my coming out "style" at all)...so I'll make him happy and go for it haha might as well.

Thanks for the reminder. I think I needed it :slight_smile:

12. Connor22

Good luck mate :slight_smile: I think you should just sit down in front of them, flip some hair out of your eyes and say "I'm a queen" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. thomasJ722

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I hope everything goes well. It seems that you are on the road to happiness. Good Luck!!!

14. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good Luck Gus!

15. Aeon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Good luck! I hope everything goes well and I'm real proud of you for having such courage. :slight_smile:

Not to be rude or anything... but ... :lol::lol::lol:

16. highlights

That's awesome! Wishing you the best of luck!

17. NordicSpirit

18. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Just an update:

My aunt replied and we are planning to talk once she returns from her vacation. Apparently she is in some island? xD She should be back on tuesday.

While I didn't come out to my aunt yet, I managed to come out to one of my cousins yesterday. Completely unplanned for and just did it randomly, but its still one less person to worry about. She was great and was more pissed at me for blocking her on fb than at the fact that I'm gay. Go figure xD haha

I'm starting to think that my extended family isn't as homophobic as I think they were. You would have thought that I should have learned to give people a chance to prove me wrong by now. Oh, well. I'm just happy right now :grin:

19. biisme

That's great Gus! Please don't forget to let us know what your aunt says when you talk to her. :slight_smile:

20. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your cousin! That's great Gus! I have the feeling that your aunt is going to be supportive too. :slight_smile: