1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing seriousness with Joke: How I told my parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Astra Moon, May 30, 2011.

1. Astra Moon

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, We'll start with my mother, seeing as she found out first. I told my mother as a joke at first. You see, around the corner from us, we have Joe's Tavern. A bar in the front, restaurant in the back. I was about 21 years old (I'm almost 26 now), my best friend, Amy, was 18. We're in the restaurant, waiting for food. Amy wanted to make a quick run to her house. We told my mom we'd be right back. On the way to her house, we decided to play a nasty joke on her dad's new girlfriend, whom she hated, & was extremely religious. We walked in holding hands, exclaiming "our love" for each other (the look on the [now ex] girlfriends face, it was PRICELESS! xD). Once outside, I said, "hey Ame, why don't we play a joke like this on my mom?" she agreed. We walked in holding hands saying we were dating & in love. My mom didn't fall for it. Somewhere though, I got the courage right there, gave Amy this "look" so she knew I was going to say something serious. Told my mom right there, I was DEAD serious, that I liked girls. She didn't believe me, no matter how much I argued, until the next year, when I dated my first girlfriend.

My StepDad, he was much simpler, but not as....easy. You see, he's catholic. He's raised me since I was 18 months old with my real father, pretty much being a dead beat (I met him 1x, last year). We were watching WWE, & the Diva's came out. Him & my brother started commenting on how HOT they were. I thought to myself, well he'd be shocked if I joined! (my brother knew) So, out of know where, without thought. I just "Hey Little Hugh (my brother) [diva's name] is so much hotter. My rother, not thinking goes to argue, then thinks, laughs, looks at me, & "goes to bed" I explained it all (how I felt) to my StepDad then. He doesn't speak about it much. He insists, even after 3 years, that I'm 'confused' but if I could change anything about the way I told my parents, especially my mom, I honestly wouldn't change a thing.

2. MrLordZeus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, Astra. Thanks for sharing your story. You should sit down and talk to your dad and show him how you've made up your mind and that's who you are. When you do that, it'll take awhile for him to cope with it, but your relationship will be SO much better.

3. addie88

that's awesome! i think i'll try that next. way to go!