1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi out: the next step

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by IanGallagher, Jun 2, 2011.

1. IanGallagher

My family knows, except extended family. Some of my friends know. But it was impossible fully stepping out. So I did it today in one master stroke. I more or less jumped out by posting this video on facebook along with saying I've been this way since I was 7 years old. Work and extended family is blocked from seeing the video. But now all my friends know. I guess maybe it was the X-Men that gave me the strength and courage needed to make this final step of living a life completely out of the closet with my friends. Also the video educates them a lot.

"What a guy can't be bisexual, because that defies some stereotype of masculinity? So, you're freaked out? And if I tell Lauren or Paison that I'm also attracted to guys, you think they'll understand or be turned off? Or like most people think that I'm gay and just can't admit it? I wish I was just gay. Life would be a lot simpler. You have no idea what it's like to be me, man. Nobody does. And I can't explain why I'm attracted to guys and girls. But, I don't want to hurt anyone. Especially Paison, how can a girl like that not be freaked out? You think a girl like that will still love me if she knew who I really was?"

Says everything that I've thought in the past and answers all their questions. Like if they ask 'is this just a transition?' or even think it... I don't know how some other bi guys on here would respond, but believe me when I say I'm the type who thinks being gay would be easier. People understand that, while they're just starting to understand bisexuality.

Well, I am off for a sneak preview of a movie, dinner, and X-Men:First Class midnight.

#1 IanGallagher, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  2. highlights

Well done! :slight_smile:
    I'm not a guy, but I am a bisexual girl.. and I know how you feel when you say you would rather be gay. I feel like that all the time, it would be so much easier if I was attracted to just one gender. But oh well, that's just who we are. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

Congratz, btw, I do not understand how X-Men helped...

Lol, I want to watch the movie too.xD

4. EM68

Congrats on coming out! How did your family react?

5. thedylan

Btw I saw the midnight release of the movie and It was incredible and now that I think of it if you kinda think about everything they said about not hiding themselves we can put it into context for ourselves also I am having troubles coming out to people because i dont want my family to know so I cant just post it on facebook or maybe I should sometimes you gotta say ef it im doing it............. . . . . . . ...goes off to post something on facebook

6. IanGallagher

The films have been there for me since I was at least 12. Bryan Singer, who's gay, made the films be about accepting our differences particularly concerning LGBT matters since the first film. So, when I was 15/16 there was Bobby's coming out to his parents (which, albeit I did much later in life). With the release of X-Men:First Class this weekend, I felt it was time to let all my friends know a "mutant" is amongst them as well. Not only that, but a mutant and proud. Basically, it served as the same forward thrust that 'coming out day' serves for some. Plus, anyone who might be on the fence about me, well all my friends dig it - so now as Charles say they'll see my "mutation" as groovy.

#6 IanGallagher, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  7. Fiddledeedee

Lots of my friends say I should get facebook but I don't want to put bi as my orientation before coming out to most people . . . do I have to put anything, or could I leave it?

8. IanGallagher

Before coming out it can be blank. Mine is still blank despite being out because I'm more pansexual, thus restricting it to two would even be a lie per se. I just say I'm attracted to people in my 'about me' section.