1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm being outed...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by thisisfate, Jun 3, 2011.

1. thisisfate

I don't really feel like elaborating, but I trusted the wrong guy and now I can tell people around me are starting to find out. I'm getting the cold shoulder from his close friends (that know people I know) and the word is out because I stopped putting up with his crap so this is his little revenge. He's the confident, "chatty" type of gay guy, the type who has his head so far up his own ass he forgot what it's like to be in the closet. Hate his friends too.

The worst part is that he knows I'm not that comfortable with my orientation. That's the crap he's spreading. I'm not doing so well right now anyway, so I can't even pull it off. I really am alone. My family won't hear about it, but some other people I hate will (or already have) and I don't want people to think I'm miserable because I'm sure some would like it and I think the situation is embarassing. If I were happy with who I am it would be a different story but I'm not.

2. Holmes

That sounds like a horrid situation to be in, at the start at least, we all like to be able to control how people find out about us being gay.

Could you tell us a little more about yourself, how old you are, what you're doing in life, how you know this person, so we can give you some advice on what you can do next?

3. thedylan

Oh man im so wanting to just cry in my arms and let all your troubles dissapear but I know that wont work so If i were you I wouldnt worry about all those people I hate because if you hate someone who the hell cares if they know and you shouldnt, just because your not yet comfortable doesnt mean you should let them get the better of you and make you constantly believe they are thinking about you because in all reality who really thinks of someone else's problems all the time unless they are insecure about themselves to start with anyway just dont worry about those losers and go on with your life and find a new crowd to be in join an lgbt or something just dont talk to them

4. Hexagon

Urg. That sucks, especially when your not ready to be outed. The only thing I can think of is to out yourself, pretending to be okay with yourself, and come to terms with it in your own time. At least that way you control how people find out, and what their first impressions of your sexuality are, and that could change things for quite a long time.

Having to out yourself before your ready sucks, but its better that having nasty rumours spread about you. If there were a way to take back what you said, it might be different, but there isn't.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, and welcome to EC. You've come to the right place.

I'm really sorry that you're having to go through this. There's really no solution to preventing it from coming out, but there is something you can do that might at least help make the situation less uncomfortable for you in the long term.

And that's steal the guy's thunder. Make the announcement that you're gay.

That's hard as heck, and it's, I'm sure, *not* what you want. But it takes away his power, gives the power back to you, and it allows you to stand with your head high and be who you are.

The alternative is to deny the rumors, but my experience is that usually once rumors start to spread widely, people just assume they're true anyway.

Do you have some close friends you can confide in and ask for their help and support? Knowing that your friends are behind you and supportive can make all the difference in the world in taking that step. I know it's a huge step, and you aren't ready, but sometimes, those situations can be worked to our advantage.

Please keep us up to date on what's going on.

6. thisisfate

Thanks everyone...

I'd rather not get too specific because I don't want the wrong person to read what I'm saying. I already let myself down by being stupid enough to be honest with that guy. I'm usually smarter than that. I know it's dumb to care about people you hate, but when people root for you to fail or don't think much of you, being outed like that gives you a bad feeling like they won. I am not even being outed as a happy gay person, but a self hating YOUNG ADULT who's still figuring himself out. It sucks. Even the people I'm cool with, my problems are really none of their business.

Telling people first is a good idea for a normal guy, but I can't even officially come out yet because I'm not sure what my orientation is. I am still not 100% sure how to define myself. I don't want to come out as bi and turn out to be gay or vice versa. I've really "denied" and repressed myself for so long that I just don't know who I am anymore. There are 14 year olds out there who know themselves better than I do. I don't have close friends, maybe just 2 but one of them doesn't even know I am/might be gay. I don't really know what I'm supposed to do.

7. Holmes

Don't get fussed about where you fall exactly on the scale. That could even be what you tell someone, if you have a close friend who you think would be the right person to tell, you could say, "I know I'm not straight", or "I'm somewhere between bi and gay", or "I like boys". Don't think of bi and gay as mutually exclusive terms. There's a generally used Kinsey Scale, where 0 is perfectly heterosexual, 3 is perfectly bisexual and 6 is perfectly homosexual. I'd put myself at a 5, for example, as I had a reasonable relationship with a girl once, and have the occasional attraction still for girls, but I'd call myself gay. But if it did turn out there was a woman I clicked with so be it. You don't owe these descriptions to anyone but yourself, no one can come back to you and say, "But you told us you were bi not gay?" or vice versa. If they do, just be honest, and say that these things aren't that simple.

And don't worry about what age you are compared to others. It is more obvious to some people than to others, but I think that has a lot to do with where they are on that scale. You'll find on this site a great span of ages of when people decide to come out.

It would help us advise you to know a little bit, your age, how close your are to friends. Trust us, others you know are unlikely to come across this, and such information shouldn't give you away. It makes a difference to give advice to someone who's in their teens, twenties, thirties, or older.

Ultimately, I'd be with Chip. Nice as I said above to be able to control the pace of coming out, but once it starts happening anyway, you can decide to take control of how you react.

8. thisisfate

First of all, thanks for trying to help...I understand what you're saying about the scale. I know I'm reaching here, but what if I'm actually closer to 0 on the scale? I don't know if it's the "inner homophobe" or whatever in me speaking, but who knows? What if I come out as bisexual and somehow I end up being straight? Is it still a good idea to come out and be proud? It would look fake. In real life I've only been attracted to men, but since I'm kind of stuck in general it's hard to tell. I was more attracted to girls as a teenager but ever since I discovered my attraction to men, it's always been about them. Again, I'm not completely comfortable with the idea of being gay so that might play a role in my "confusion" as well.

As for details, I am 21. I only have two close friends - one thinks I'm bi, the other knows I had something with a guy but still talks to me about girls all the time. I am 21. Not late to come out, but pretty late to be confused in 2011.

9. Holmes

I was 22 when it properly hit me that I was more gay than straight, and 23 when I realised that I was more 5 than 4 on a 0-6 scale. I don't mean to bog you down with technicalities of a scale, just to say that you're not the only one. Especially for someone who has at least some attraction to women, it can feel right for them to focus on that growing up. Through some of my teenage years, when I was in an all boys' school, I was sure I was gay. Then we were mixed at 16 and 17, and I felt surely I was mostly straight. Life and hormones aren't that simple.

2011 has only so much to do with it. If you were attracted to girls during your teenage years, then you can't be blamed for not coming out then. Unless you're writing from Canada or a few small number of other countries, there is still a legal bias against gay people. And while things are moving fast culturally, there will always be a bias there too towards heterosexuality, simply because of supply and demand, more people want to go to the cinema to see a romance between and man and a woman. So don't be hard on yourself.

If you come out as bi, and then later find yourself happily living with a wife and children later, so be it. It will still be true right now to tell others that you're interested in men. Why close it off now for the hypothetical idea that you'll stop being interested in men. What if you never stop? Or if it does, that's fine too. There's nothing fake about being as honest and truthful about what you feel now. It depends on what you mean by coming out and proud.

Also, I don't think it happens that often that men who have a predominant interest in men, and one longer than just a passing one, later turn out to be as straight as an arrow. At the same time, there are credible cases of where someone has gay romances in their youth, and later has good relations with women. I read of English authors Evelyn Waugh and Christopher Hitchens last year where this is the case.

Anyway, if there are more specific questions you want to go over with me, you could ask on my wall or PM me. Remember, you're not the only one in your situation, there were certainly times when I felt very similar feelings.

And remember the words of Polonius in Hamlet,
    That is, if you're true to yourself, you can't be accused by another of being fake.

---------- Post added 4th Jun 2011 at 11:33 PM ----------

I know I've gone on a bit, but think of this. What if you continuing acting as straight, and you end up as being bi or gay. That would look fake too, and you miss out on the chance to start building relationships.

10. ToTheCeilingFan

That sucks dude. My thoughts are with you, I hope everything turns out all right.

11. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

That really sucks. Can't even believe there are gay people out there that will really out someone like that :/

I agree with chip though. You can't go back in time and prevent this from happening, so now the best thing to do is face up to it so the blow isn't too hard. I would say start with your close friends so you can have support once it happens.

You might not be comfortable with it, but you can't let this guy get away with doing this to you. If you want, and I understand its really hard to do, you could turn the tables and start telling people exactly what he did to you or at least spread it. Just an idea.

As for your sexuality, I would say to not worry too much about it. Yes, you might come out as bi and end up just being gay, but its better than not coming out at all and then always thinking "has he heard? does he know?" all the time.

Sorry this is happening to you, but chin up and hang in there.

Best of luck

12. MaskedPrincess

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Dear thisisfate,
    Exactly the same thing happened to me last year. I was on some anti-depressants at the time that were making me worse and caused me to go somewhat manic. During a panic attack I started rambling and mentioned the fact that I was a lesbian, the other girl I was with (who incidentally turned out to have a controlling personality disorder) instantly jumped upon it, and, being a lesbian herself spent basically a whole year emotionally blackmailing me about it. Every time I passed her in the corridor she would shout homophobic abuse and suggested that she would out me if I didn't do exactly what she said. She also told me that people would reject me utterly if they found out. Now this might sound like it's a depressing story but it's not! When I finally went to my teacher about it (admittedly with me staring at the table and blushing profusely) she gave me a some really good advice:

1) You should never let that person have that much control over you. The fear of that person is probably worse than what they are threatening.

2) Even if they do start spreading rumours you can always deny it if you feel you need to do so.*

3) that person thrives on control, if I were you I'd take away that power.

Good luck, and I hope things get better for you xx*

13. CrayonWarrior

Out Status:
    All but family
    I have been in a similar situation. But the chance is that rumours existed before anyone said anything. There were two sets of actions I did to combat this situation, one was to say to people I trusted. Then, all you can do if you don't want everyone to know is pretend it's just a rumour. It won't dispel everything, but those people probably spread it round anyway, and it should die down after a bit

14. thisisfate

Thanks everyone. I have to say that it's not really as bad for me anymore. People don't really say anything. The thing is that I'm pretty sure he spread negative things about me along with the fact I'm gay. So I can tell some people aren't "nice" but I don't care about them. I can't even say he did me a favor because it's not people I would've come out to, but hey...it's really my fault for trusting someone who is so open. It's impossible to turn things around on him because most people don't even bring it up and he's more "popular" anyway. All I can do is try to look happy and unaffected, because that's the best "revenge" in this case. Besides, I could've been a lot more pathetic and suck up to him to keep my secret forever, but it's not who I am.

There are people I've had big conflicts with, so if anything bothers me is the fact they'll "laugh" at my destiny as a gay person. Not even to my face, but in general if they think their life is better. Like I said I was probably exposed as a guy with issues. That's what bothers me.

I think I really will just label myself as bi if I'm in a position where it's brought up. It's going to be at least half true. I always have it in my head that if I come out as gay it will ruin my chances with a woman if I ever decide to go there. But, maybe I'm lying to myself when I think things will be diffferent. I'm having some trouble with intimacy right now, so I can't find out for sure. I haven't had great experience with men sexually. Then again, maybe my other issues play a role too. This is why it's never clear to me.