1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I knew today would be the day

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by TheLilyTribe, Jun 3, 2011.

1. TheLilyTribe

So today I woke up and I just felt like telling my dad, my grandma, and cousin that I was a lesbian. I'm not sure WHY I felt so compeled to do it today of all days but I'm so glad that I did. I also decided that I was going to tell my mom I had a girlfriend. It scared me to death to think about any of this but I just... wanted them all to know who I really am.

So, I called my girlfriend (Lynn) up who was just getting off work. I told her that today I was going to tell my grandma, my cousin, and my dad that I was gay, and that I was going to tell my mom we were dating. She asked if I wanted her to be there when I told them, and at first I was a bit iffy, I thought I should tell them by myself... Then she brought up that I don't have a car so she offered to drive me there and back. I accepted the offer, and looking back on it now I'm really glad she was there.

So when we finally get to my grandmas house, and I tell her and my cousin that I need to tell them something really important. So everyone settles into the living room and it was really quiet for a while. Eventually my grandma asked, "Maddie, is everything ok?" I started to cry and Lynn grabbed my hand and gave me a reasuring pat on the back. My cousin was starting to get impatient at this point and she stands up and says, "I swear to God Maddie, if anyone is hurting you.." "I'm a lesbian..." It got really quiet again then my cousin shouts, "For fucks sake! I thought it was something serious! You scared the shit out of me!" Then my grandma added, "That wasn't much of a secret dear, and I'm guessing she's your girlfriend?" Now... We had not planned on telling my grandma and cousin that we were dating, and it was about that time that Lynn went into 'deer in the headlights' mode. Apparantly, my cousin and grandma had assumed I was a lesbian a while ago, and they also assumed that Lynn and me were dating, because we hung out all the time and apparantly seemed too close to be 'just friends'.

We stayed at my grandmas house a bit longer and waited for my dad to get off work, then we headed to my house. My girlfriend went to go beat my scores on No More Heroes, and I went to talk to my dad. We went down to his shop and he started working on the new engine for his car. I decided to act like I was doing something productive (sweeping dust into a nonexistant pile) and I casually started a conversation. We eventually got on the topic of homosexuality, and I said to him, "Dad, what would you say if I told you I was gay?" "Well.. I'd have to say that wouldn't change a thing about the way I see you. You're my daughter, I love you very much, and I always will." I don't think I could have asked for it to go any better than that, I was so happy I dropped my broom and I gave him a big hug, and I didn't really care that I was getting car filth all over myself. I told him that I was a lesbian, and that I was so glad that I finally told him.

So then came the final part, and after he said all that, I wasn't worried at all about this. I told him there was someone I wanted him to meet, I also found my mom and told her the same thing. I went into my room and got Lynn, both my dad and my mom raised an eyebrow and said something like, "It's not like we're meeting her for the first time you know." I told them that we were dating, which, went over well... Probably a bit better with my dad, and I'm pretty sure there will be no more sleepovers (not that anything happened to begin with, which we tried to tell them, though I don't think they believed that...), but all in all I'm happy with how things went.

It was quite a busy day... It felt like a giant load had been lifted off my shoulders. And with that sweet relief came sleep. I was so tired after all of that I napped for hours..! And here I am now. I just want to say thanks to everyone on this site, you're all so supportive and nice. You really gave me the courage to do this. <3

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's stories like this that just brighten my day!
    I'm so glad all the people you told took it so well! :grin:

3. ToTheCeilingFan

That's seriously awesome. You go girl, you're super brave and I'm really glad things worked out for you! (*hug*)

4. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

That's awesome. Congrats! (*hug*)

5. thedylan

Im happy for you good job

6. Foxywolf

Yay! I want this to happen to me too! Awesome story! I'm glad everything turned out wonderfully. It gives me the courage to come out to my family.

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    happy dance for you

(!) (!!) (!)

8. NordicSpirit

Congrats! Your family sounds awesome, especially your grandma, lol! :slight_smile: