1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by thedylan, Jun 5, 2011.

1. thedylan

Well I was looking at a lot of these coming out threads cuz im still not fully out and would like to be but am not sure as to how to do it and I found a thread(dont remember which one) and it said that the poster went through several situations in their head and decided to go with asking if the person that does not know about their orientation knows about the kinsey scale and goes off to tell them that they are a so and so on that particular scale.

I have decided that this is one of my favorite things to do and it starts off just like any other did you know conversation. Also i was wondering is their anyway to get past the I dont know how to tell him part like I was going to tell my roommate and i ended up sitting against his door for like an hour before I could tell him he finally asked what was wrong and I said it to him and well he was cool with it but their was a long period of time where I was unsure of how he would react and how I would be treated from their on out. Is their any way of overcoming this or does it get better with time.

2. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

Not everyone understands the Kinsey Scale, but if they understand it, then I can see how that would work.

If you are looking to tell people specifically, you can do the traditional "I have something I want to tell you".

But for me, I just stopped denying it at one point. So it wasn't like I was telling people, I was just not denying it when certain conversations or topics came up in everyday conversation.

3. Holmes

To coin a phrase, It gets better. More that it gets easier, the first few times, one agonizes a lot over it, but beyond that, you tend to be able to gauge people's likely reactions, which in most cases is fairly neutral or positive.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It does get better and relatively easier with time. The more you come out, the more comfortable you will feel with talking about yourself and coming out to other. One of the things that might help you in coming out and perhaps feeling more comfortable with coming out is to do the mirror routine. Basically, before you come out, stand in front of a mirror and try to say out loud "today, I want to come out to...." and try to gauge as to how you feel. If you feel good and you know it is the right time for you, that might help you in feeling a bit more confident.

If you feel good then try to think about as to how you could tell that person. It could be as simple as saying (and as alexi12 mentioned) "I would like to talk to you about something" to recalling an incident or something that someone said and using that as a way into the conversation.

Often times, where we come out has also a role to play. Maybe there are places where you feel more comfortable coming out to others. So maybe try inviting for example a friend to that place and try coming out then. For some people, they need to feel that this conversation is just between them and the other person to whom they want to come out to.

5. thedylan

Thankyou guys you all have great suggestions