1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just came out to my mum :S

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by jason10, Jun 7, 2011.

1. jason10

Well, I've just come away from telling my mum the news. I'm not sure why I chose tonight: I just really wanted/felt I needed to. It started with a lot of procrastination. I spent the whole night being out of my normal personality and my mum read me like a book. However, I denied anything was wrong, even when she asked if there was something I needed to tell her. Apparently, it looked like I wanted to say something. But, nothing happened. She went to bed and I was left disappointed. I decided I would write a note saying that there was actually something I needed to say. I didn't say what. I stood outside the door with the note in hand for a good fifteen minutes. I just stood, telling myself I should do it. Eventually I walked in and sat beside her. She knew something was up. She asked me for the note. I handed it to her and she looked at me blankly. I said it was about something we had talked about tonight. She went through and then she said 'gay and lesbians.' I didn't say anything and kind of grumbled.

Well, there was no turning back. She now knew. I can't say it was a burden lifted off of my shoulders, nor can I say I feel massively relieved. I feel really strange. In a way, I feel as if I shouldn't have said anything. I did start crying, though. She didn't mind at all but she had the usual questions of 'how long have you known' and 'are you sure it's not just a phase.' she honestly didn't mind in the slightest and told me she loved me no matter what. But what did Dawn on me was her worries from that point. She could only worry about my future and what I would face. Obviously there will be some prejudices and this really set her back. It's great to know she cares, but I felt weird about it. She also mentioned about telling my dad.

Hell. No.

Not yet anyway. I know what his reaction would be and it wont be good. My mum kind of confirmed this, but suggested it needed to be done sooner than later. I dread that day. But for now, my mum knows and I don't know how to feel. I wish I would wake up and it was over, but it did happen and it's real. It's odd. It will just take some getting used to.

2. Hemera

Well congratulations on telling your mum. I honestly have no idea what mine would say since I haven't seen her years, but whenever I get around to telling my dad it won't be good.
    Think of it this way, once you tell him you don't have to worry about telling him after that, and no matter the reaction you are his son and he will always love you.
    If you need to talk, pm me

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your mum! It's fantastic that you were able to talk to her! :slight_smile:

The feelings that you are experiencing are perfectly normal. Sometimes, and even though we have been able to let go and talk about ourselves, we don't get that instant relief feeling because we need to process what happened and the fact that we actually went through with it. But I'm sure that in the coming days your feelings will change as you become aware of being able to be yourself around your mum.

Your parents will always worry about your future and what lies ahead. But you can reassure your mum by talking to her about you, and perhaps letting her know that you have or are building up your support network.

4. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At least you will have your mum to back you up when it comes to telling your dad. Well done for getting where you are so far!

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Congrats on finally telling your mom! :slight_smile:

The surreal feeling that you are talking about is normal and just takes time to get used to the idea of being out and your mom knowing. The feeling will go away with time and eventually you'll start feeling the relieve of being out, so hang in there.

6. Dykezz

Congratulations!!! This is a big step!!! (!)(!)(!)(!)

7. jason10

Thank you so much everyone for the support! I'm starting to feel more comfortable around my mum and to be honest, I couldn't have asked for a better reaction! She keeps saying she loves me, she doesn't care in the slightest that I'm gay and she wishes I told her sooner! So yeah, she is very supportive but curious. I guess that is to be expected.

Thanks guys!!!(&&&)