1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little coming out tale from a 60 year old man

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by hedley51, Jun 8, 2011.

1. hedley51

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Good afternoon. I have only looked into this site occasionally, but applaud its value. In recent years I have finally come to terms to a fair degree with myself, and having lived the life of an eclectic bachelor for many years, would desire a permanent partner to come home to. Anyway, these days I am in a semi-retired position and have a cool seasonal job driving tour buses for the cruise ship industry in Alaska. Many of our employees are young Mormon ( LDS ) students and they are actively recruited in Utah for this work in Alaska. Most of them do not drink and get hungover and they have a good work ethic. I was rather spooked by this bunch at first, but have ended up liking all of them and a few of them have become some of my dearest friends. They are mostly in their early 20's, and the friendships might appear to be unusual with the huge age disparity. These guys are good looking, but I am not trying to go after them sexually - the point is I value their friendship and we have good times together.
    My first friend, who I have now known for three summer seasons, asked me personal questions last year and I leveled with him and gave him direct answers about my sexuality. He was calm and accepting and asked a number of very pointed questions. He says he is not gay - I guess the term curious would apply. We have discussed this a number of times, all in good spirits. This year he recruted another young Mormon friend of his to be his roommate. This young man, who I will call Sam, is one hot looking dude who portrays himself as a ladies man. I was out to dinner with him and the first friend and another guy about two weeks ago. Sam turned to me in the middle of the restaurant and asked point blank, " What was the best sex you ever had? " Without batting an eye, I told him I would answer that some other time. He repeated the question twice over the next few days. I told him he would get an answer soon, but it might knock him on his ear. That evening I asked to to come outside of our dorm building and sit in my car, so I could chat privately. I told myself that I was going to have some fun with this one and I was not the least bit nervous. So I told him this with a big smile: " Since you asked me a ballsy question, I will give you a ballsy answer. The best sex I ever had was a few years ago in a Washington, DC hotel room with a heavyset Hawaiian man who is a Catholic priest. He doesn't have a great body, but had sensuous hands and great oral skills. " Sam looked a little bit startled and said he had no idea that was the case with me ( as his roommate does not tell people my personal business. )
    but that it makes no difference to him and he considers me a good friend. So our chat went very well. This obviously not what he expected to hear from me, but he continues to be friendly to me and treats me with respect, which is what I most appareciate from this group.
    There is another young man here who I met last summer, Bill, who was recently married to a lovely young lady, both 23. I had given them a wedding gift and was happy that they both came back here this year. Since I consider him a close friend, I decided that it was important to be clear about myself. The three of us had gone out to dinner at a local restaurant and when we returned to our dorm, IIasked his wife to go inside, as I wanted to speak to her husband alone. I turned around and spoke to him in the backseat. To back up a bit here, another young Mormon this season annouced to a bunch of us that he is gay, which presents some difficult issues for him. He made a special point also to address this matter to Bill, prior to my chat. I told Bill that I consider myself a gay man, and I wanted him to know this about me, as I consider him such a valued friend, who is among the most conservative among the Mormons. Bill was very calm and accepting also and thanked me for sharing this with him. He also said, in referring to our other friend who came out recently, that he loves both of us very much. The next day I questioned him if he had shared this with his wife, and he said yes, which was fine with me.
    I feel good about being direct with these two, the first being a lighthearted talk, the second being more serious, and both of them turning out well. Considering the religious background from where they come from, this is progress!(!)
    "

2. Chandra

I'm also glad to hear that your conservative Mormon friends are taking the news well. It must have taken courage to tell them!