1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New here, just came out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by centertk, Jun 10, 2011.

1. centertk

So, I'm bisexual and I just came out to my mother and father.

here's what happened:

All day I had the jitters/nervous/etc...this has been building up over a lifetime. I started using drugs around 16-17 pretty heavily in order to help fill my empty soul. I've been pretty fucking miserable, not gonna lie. Over the past week for some odd reason I've had this real desire to get honest with myself and try to improve my life, maybe it's the DMT, hahaha. I admitted to myself my sexuality and realized I had to tell my family -- I was feeling like a stranger in my own house due to the fact I hide a lot of my life from just about everyone. I don't talk much at all. I always feel like I am hiding things (I am). My sexuality is just something I've failed to discuss or mention or comment on, I guess. Had a couple of girlfriends over the years; nothing serious due to my being socially inept and unable to maintain any serious relationship.

Anyway, my mom walks in to the tv room and asks "is everything ok?
    I said "no..I'm bisexual."
    "You're nonsexual? What?"
    "BISEXUAL"

She basically shrugs and says "yeah, its not a big deal really - I wish I was BI, atleast you know you'll always have a date". At this point my dads standing there with that "my son just told me his sexual orientation" face and I'm sweating bullets.

Oh well...seems like they're taking it OK. My mom said she kind of had an idea anyway.

I have some mixed emotions right now. Guilt, happiness, relief...I feel like I might of hurt my parent's feelings because telling them I was bisexual made them realize how little they know about their son, and it's my fault for not being open. I feel like disclosing my sexuality was just the tip of the iceberg in my eyes. There's a lot I need to work on, but hopefully this was a step in the right direction. I just keep trying to do the next right thing; not dwell on the past; not feel like such a lowlife person for the people I've alienated myself from my entire life to pursue a career in consciousness exploration.
    :eusa_doh:

2. hedley51

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm the 60 year old man on this forum. ( see my post below. ) You do not give your age but apparently you are quite young. Congratulations on working up the nerve you did. You express yourself quite well in writing. I wish I had done something like that years ago.

3. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

Congrats! It definitely is a step in the right direction. No need to feel guilty though, many people go years without being comfortable enough to tell people, and one should only do so when they are comfortable enough to do so. You aren't obligated to tell anybody in any order, or by any deadline. And honestly, as far as coming out of the closet, telling parents is a HUGE step, so congrats again!!

And welcome to EC! Hope we can help you realize that you are important and that you DO have a soul :slight_smile: If you didn't, you wouldn't have these mixed emotions.

4. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations :slight_smile:

Did your dad say anything to you?

5. centertk

Hi everyone, I just wanted to say I'm 24, 25 in literally two days from now. Figured it was about time though...

Corporal Sparks-- out of both of them, my dad took it the most awkward. Gave me that face like "my son is gay" type of look. (just imagine it- mixture of disappointment and worry?)

I saw him this morning, said good morning to me and asked how I slept. Didn't seem upset. I just hope I didn't crush his spirit.

6. hedley51

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To expoound upon my previous comments, I think my parents had me figured out, but it was never discussed. They are both gone now. Your dad is undoubtedly having mixed emotions, but you seem to have done a good job. How my life would have been different had I done something like you did many years ago. I am partially out, and it was something of a big deal to mention this to one of my much younger friends where i work last week. He took it fine, which was helped b y the fact that his former roommate where we work also made a coming out presentation to him. My younger friend, who was recently married, took it well from both of us and told me he loves both of us very much. How cool.