1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my first IRL friend. <3

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Roxas93, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Roxas93

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hayy. :slight_smile:
    So, last night I went to a glee concert with my friend and her mom. It was supposed to be her and one of my other best friends, but he couldn't make it due to work. We spent all day shopping in Toronto, I had planned on coming out to her earlier in the day, but couldn't quite find the right time to just say it.
    So we got to the concert, and I see the merchandise. They had typical tour shirts and also a select few of the shirts they wore on the episode "Born This Way" including "Can't Sing" "I'm With Stoopid" "Likes Girls" and "Likes Boys". I immediately wanted a Likes Boys one, but got cold feet on telling my friend about being gay, so instead bought a "Can't Sing" shirt and walked away in shame.
    We went to our seats, and after the opening dance crew they had I decide to excuse myself and go to the bathroom. While out there I asked if I could exchange my Can't Sing shirt for a Likes Boys one.
    It felt awkward to say, seeing how the guy selling the shirts was cute, but he just gave me a smile and exchanged them.
    I went back in and sat down, the show started and it was brilliant. I legit almost cried I was so happy. My friend actually did cry. xD
    Finally, they sung Born This Way. I decided it was sappy, and a bawwwh moment to do it, but I slipped on the shirt and poked my friend. She looked at me, looked at the shirt, smiled, then back at the crowd.
    She obviously hadn't been paying attention, thinking I still had the Can't Sing shirt, but she looked back almost like a second take and just hugged me.

We spent the rest of the night fangirl screaming over Sam and Finn. :slight_smile:

I don't think it was that much of a surprise to her, but we talked after the show and she was proud of me for finally coming out to someone. She suggested I wear it to school on our dress down day Friday, but I don't think I'm that ready yet. She promised she won't say anything to anyone, and I know I can trust that.

It felt amazing to tell someone though. Almost as amazing as it was to meet Jeff, the blonde Warbler before the show. =P

Just thought I'd share that with you all.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your friend! What a great occasion and way to come out. Glad you felt amazing in that it went well. :slight_smile:

3. Roxas93

Out Status:
    A few people
    I thought so. I was really hoping my other friend would have came, because he's the one I'd really like to tell. Mainly because I've had a crush on him for a while. Oh well. In time I guess.
    Thank you though. :slight_smile: I'm glad it went as well as it did. She wasn't that surprised, and to be honest I don't think many people I tell will be. It's just a matter of getting it over with. ^^"

4. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That was a really cool way to come out!
    I'm a little jealous you got to go to a Glee concert, though... :slight_smile:

5. Roxas93

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks! ^^
    It was amazing. Possibly the best night of the past 5 years of my life. Seeing them. Meeting Riker. Coming out. Kurt dancing to Single Ladies. ^w^ =P

6. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

That's an awesome way to come out! Congrats :slight_smile:

I'm bummed b.c. I didn't get tickets for the glee concert, which was in Chicago a week ago.

7. Roxas93

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks ^^
    I think this shirt is going to come in handy quite a few times. =P

Awhhh. :frowning2: That sucks. We've had ours since February, t'was my birthday gift. The line was huge to buy tickets last night, and because people were complaining that the people buying the night of were getting better seats than us, they moved most of the 300 section (where we were) to the 100 section and sold the people buying the night of our 300 section seats.
    Well done ACC, because everyone looked like ants in the 300s. =P

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What a simply awesome way to come out! It's great that you had the guts to exchange it, and then to wear it! And I think we have Glee to thank for making it just a little bit simpler.

Though... too bad they didn't have the "Lebanese" shirt as an option for the "Likes Girls" contingent... it would be a great in-joke.

9. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Congrats on wearing the shirt and telling your friend! Even better that she reacted well to it :slight_smile:

We are actually planning to make shirts like that for national coming out day and getting as many LGBT people to wear it on campus. Its going to be awesome and I can't wait to see the shock that it will also bring! :grin:

10. Roxas93

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you both. :3

I think Glee is definately to thank in my process as well. I managed to get it out today to my dads ex, who I'm now really close to. We tan together, and watch glee together, and movies, and play cards. We finished watching season 2 today (she doesn't have cable, so I end up rewatching episodes with her) and I had my Likes Boys shirt on underneath cause I planned on telling her. We finished, I told her I got another shirt at the concert, she was all "Lemme see lemme see!" So I showed her and she started to bawl.
    Saying how proud she was of me and how awesome I am. Her crying got my dad downstairs though, which resulted in me running away to put my other shirt over top, but it was cool.
    She just left, so we're texting about it now. Makes me want to tell more people really.

I think wearing shirts like that would be a amazing way to say stuff like this. A couple of kids on our student counsil want to try it next year, as a way to get out of dress code for a day, but our principal is so...against things like that.

11. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

That is awesome tho! Congrats again! People like to come out more and more once they get started :slight_smile: It is a good thing I think.

And I should ask for them for my birthday next year, which is also in February.

12. Roxas93

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks. =P
    Yeah, it seems to be that way. As long as my parents never find out. xD

Ask for what? A shirt? It's pretty much the best shirt I've ever bought. xP

....I overuse emoticons. ^^"

13. NordicSpirit

Thats the best coming out story I've heard so far! Congrats!! :slight_smile:

14. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I know people that have been totally out for 10 years now and their parents still don't know, so don't worry too much about it.

Congrats on telling yet another friend. You are def on a roll! :slight_smile:

Also, I'll take you on about emoticons :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: