1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How i plan to come out, in an airport.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by chillaxbro, Jun 14, 2011.

1. chillaxbro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey! :grin: , im 17 years old...JUST registered on this site.

Nobody knows im gay, or even suspects it.

I want to come out to my mom in DULLES airport right before i get on a plane to los angeles (alone vacation).

shes told me before that it was fine if i was gay when we saw something about gays on tv and i just said i wasnt.

but heres how i plan to do it...im going to start recording video on my ipod, and hand it to her and tell her to take a video of me...then im going to say "soooo mom, before i get on this plane to los angelesssss, i have to tell you soemthing" ...shell say what, then ill just be like " IM GAYYYYYYY :grin: " i just want her reaction on camera :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

and im gonna tell her to tell the family the news for me while im in LA...

my dads a cop, and hes pretty homophobic... i know this because we were watching tv and he saw 2 guys kissing on tv and said "ughh discusting"... :/

so i dont know how hell take it, BUT..i dont really care, if you cant accept your son for who he is then you have a serious problem..

OH and by the way, there divorced and my mom is single and dad got re-married.

My sister is very pro-gay. she lives in los angeles and has so many gay guy friends... a couple even came to her wedding and everyone seemed accepting.

just tell me if you like my idea and if i should change anything about it :grin:

2. thomasJ722

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Dude, this seems like a really good idea. it seems that you are very confident about coming out to your mom, which is really awesome. If she said that she was fine with your being gay i don't think you're going to get a crazy reaction out of her, but it seems like a really fun way to come out. I like your attitude regarding your father: "if you cant accept your son for who he is then you have a serious problem.." That is totally true. Plus, if he is a cop, he should think of all of the criminals that he has arrested, and he should thank God that you are gay and that you are not a criminal: just another thought. i do not think you should change anything about your idea.it sounds great. Good Luck with your courageous coming out. :slight_smile:

3. vncc14

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that's a good plan. Just wanna say good luck!

4. lulu165

lulu165 Guest

I wanna steal your idea!! But not until the end of summer when I am returning home from Texas. You have to keep us updated on how this goes because if it is successful I want to modify it a little and use it to come out to my own mother. My mother has always been the more carefree one and if it goes bad, Ehh I wont have to see her again anymore.

5. chillaxbro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    thanks alot guys :grin:

i leave for los angeles on july 14th, and the video is going on YOUTUBEEEEE! ill keep all you updated!

im not really worried about the coming out part. just how people will treat me differently.

like i sometimes babysit my little cousin, and hes like 4-5ish. and now when i come out i think people will think i cant come around their kids or them anymore.

and i plan on just coming out to my friends on facebook...i have like 600 friends so i think word will spread quickly :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

thanksssss

6. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At least you know you're mother and sister will be very supportive. You're dad will come around, I imagine, as you only gave one example of him being homophobic (people tend to change their minds once they know someone whos gay).

7. HantsBen

Awesome and I can not wait to see the outcome of it! :slight_smile:

I dont think this will affect you babysitting your little cousin, there is a big difference between being gay and being a pedophile

8. chillaxbro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah I know lol, but you know how stupid other people can be

9. HantsBen

That I do my friend, that I do.

10. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

Despite the fact that you know that your mom and sister are going to be supportive, I think it would be better if you would come out before you go to the airport. I think you want to avoid the "btw I'm gay, see ya later" deal. Have a recording and all that stuff, but don't do it at the airport just before you board the aircraft.

11. chillaxbro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i was thinking that also, about doing it in the car on the way to the airport...but then i thought about having to sit there for like 30 minutes on the wayo the airport and it be silent, or worse...her try to talk to me and ask questions.

id rather just come out and hop on the plane. THEN when i land in LA my family can call me and stuff. i dont feel like having to deal with it in person.

12. RedState

I don't think its a good idea at all, and quite frankly I think it's kinda of shitty...i think you are trivializing the whole thing too much.
    >>I don't feel like having to deal with it in person.
    That pretty much sums it up.
    Well, then it appears you are not ready to come out...what do you expect, that they will simply forget about it when you get back or when they talk to you again?
    You're simply throwing a grenade and running away because you don't want to deal with the effects of your actions...at least that what the appearance is

It's good that members of your family would be supportive..a lot of us don't have that.
    I agree with Mirko, if you are going to do it you should take it seriously and tell them before.

Besides...if you are hell bent on doing it at an airport..at least do it at DCA...Dulles is such a shithole.

#12 RedState, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  13. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! From what you have said, it seems that (and as RedState said) you are not ready to come out. When you try coming out, you should be comfortable enough with the idea of being able to sit down with your mom and answer questions or be able or talk to her about yourself. You should give your mom and your sister the chance to respond and say something.

It doesn't matter which method you use to come out, the reality is that you will need to deal with it in person, even if she is supportive. When you come back from your trip, it is quite possible that your mom will ask you questions or will want to talk about it. In all likelihood, it is not going to be a done deal when you get on the airplane.

14. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

^This is very true and something that you should keep in mind. Just by getting on the plane you are delaying the talk rather than avoiding it.

Only you know your relationship with your mom and what would work better for your family, but maybe you could also give your mom a short letter explaining why you feel you can't do it face to face just yet, but that you feel and wanted to tell her. That way you leave the door open for dialogue and you can still come out in the way that you want.

Either way, best of luck and let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

15. chillaxbro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i totally understand what you guys are saying...ill talk to her in the car on the way to the airport... still going to record it :grin:

16. thedylan

Yeah unfortunately I dont think this is a good plan but its great you wanna come out but you should do it when your ready and not wanting to face it in person doesnt sound like ur ready

17. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was really hoping there would be a flash dance mob in this one, but oh well.

Like some of the other have said, she'll want to talkabout this when you get back so be ready to her to ask questions. You're Dad will get over it, 95% people who are homophobic don't know any. Once they do and get know them those prejudice tend to go away.

18. goatchild

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm worried your mother's reaction won't be as good as you hope it is. Going from experience no matter how accepting someone is they need a "freak-out period" to adjust. Even my best and most accepting friends needed this period and it doesn't mean anything and isn't anything against them they just need it. It might be fun but I don't think the response will be what you want it to be. And I'm fairly certain your mother will want to talk with you and obviously that can't happen if you are gone on vacation. You could do it but I suggest you do it a little more gently because she obviously cares about you, but it is a big issue so I don't necessarily think this is the best idea. If everything went according to plan like we want it to that would be wonderful, unfortunately, nothing I've ever done in regards to coming out has happened the way I wanted it to.

19. Flying Squirrel

To me its a respect issue. She, as your mother who you are pretty sure will be OK with it, deserves to be able to ask questions and have time to digest the news. I don't know you or your mom, but im pretty sure that she cares about you and would be very hurt by this whole gay-and-run method of coming out. In my opinion, even the car method is a bit time restricted. Give it at least a couple of days before you go.

Along the lines of what Mirko and Redstate said, you need to be ready to talk with your mom and be asked questions before you tell her. Its not necessarily going to be fun or easy, but its a part of coming out to loved ones. There's a difference between being ready to accept yourself and being ready to tell people. There's a responsibility that comes with sharing this aspect of yourself with your family. If you expect her to support you, you may want to make sure that you are ready to support her too.

20. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wait, if she's holding the ipod, how will you get her reaction on the vid? Just her voice would be recorded.

I hope you go through with the coming out to her one way or another and you don't let all the responses here get you thinking about it too much and then cause indecision. Some good things to consider here, but you sounded so excited about this plan and now maybe you're not sure. Good luck :slight_smile: