1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my bro and aunty

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Caucus, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Caucus

Out Status:
    Some people
    So I've come out to my dad and I decided to also tell my aunty and one of my brothers.

The brother I told often makes gay jokes. I got a mixed response from him. After I first told him he laughed for about a minute and asked if I was sure. Then he asked how I came to this decision. I told him I had been attracted to girls from a young age. He said he wouldn't judge me for it but I needed to think carefully about this decision. He said it was probably a phase and I'd hopefully be more attracted to solely men as I got older. He was kind of in the joking mood I think because he kept coming up with jokes. He said that a benefit of being attracted to women as well as men is that I have more to chose from. I told him I was probably more attracted to women than men. He laughed and said to make sure that I don't ever date a butch women with shaved hair and smelly armpits. He then said he hoped that next week I wouldn't tell him I was going to turn into a tranny and want a "dick and balls." Then he apologised for making a joke about it. He said the family would still accept me as the person I am. Then he said some derrogatory stuff about gay men and how he would never let a man come near his butt with their "cock and balls." He then said I should do what I feel is right and not let others sway my decision of what I want to do. It sounded like he was trying to be supportive but at the same time it didn't sit right with him. Like he was trying to convince me as well as himself that it was alright. I'm not sure what to make of it.

I rang my aunty as well and told her. She said that having an attraction to someone of the same gender isn't unusual but it's what I do with it that matters. She said I shouldn't act on it because it's wrong and it would get me into all sort of trouble and I would regret it later. She said I shouldn't put a label on it like being bisexual or gay because she doesn't believe I am. She said that she thinks that part of my personality is that I'm a very caring person and I overly want to care about everyone including females but I'm taking that caring too far. She was very nice about everything and it's obvious she cares but she just thinks it's a feeling I should repress. She said I need to make values based on what I know is right and stick to them regardless of how I feel. It was good that she didn't tell me I was evil, sinning, disobeying God or anti-christian or anything like that (she's a very strong christian). I knew she wouldn't agree with it so I wasn't surprised with what she had to say.

I'm not entirely sure what to make of those responses...

2. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They're both bullshit responses. You're a queer.

Its good that they tried to support you, in part, though.

Well done for getting there :slight_smile:

3. NordicSpirit

If they have an issue with it, its their problem, not yours. Its sounds like they are trying to accept you so Im sure they will come around eventually. Congrats on coming out to them :slight_smile:

4. DarkClarity

It's sounds like from what you said that they love you but are uncomfortable with your sexuality.

It sounds like your brother is trying to understand but has some issues. Try and talk to him and show him that the LGBT aren't abnormal. We just regualr people who aren't heterosexual.

As for your aunt, it seems from what you said that it's going to take a long time for her to accept your sexuality. Be patient with her.

It's going to take a while but, I think in time they'll accept you.

Good luck with everything. :slight_smile:

5. Sadepeura

Aww, congratulations for telling them! I think you were really brave although the replies were so disappointing.

Your brother is probably just very confused now, because it sounds like he's very unfamiliar with the concept of homosexuality and finding out that his sister is one must be a real shock. He has to now get used to it the same way that you had to get used to it when you realised it. (My brother is sort of the same. I never told him, but his girlfriend, who is also a good friend of mine, did. My brother has never said a word about it to me.)

But your aunty! Oh dear! I still think that it was VERY brave to ring her and tell her! How did you even think of doing that? She must be very important to you, and she's clearly very worried about you. I can't really stand the branches of Christianity that think that homosexuality is the greatest evil in the world (and I have met them) but it's just really good that she didn't say anything so awful, she just cared about you and your reputation. I know many Christians who don't think that God had anything against homosexuality, and many churches have been forced to discuss the problem. Maybe your aunty needs more time as well and now has to think about her own faith and what she believes in.

I am not sure if what I just wrote makes any sense. Anyway, congratulations for being so brave and I am proud of you! :slight_smile:

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Congrats on taking the plunge! :slight_smile:

Their responses, while wrong, are still somewhat positive. Don't try to concentrate on what they are saying but more on they why. They obviously care about you and are trying to help you in the best way that they know how, which is supporting you and trying to "make" you straight again. Sadly, like most people, they are uninformed about what being gay really means so you are just going to have to show them.

The good thing about this is that it is very likely that with time they will come around and fully accept you. It is tough, but stay calm and give them space for them to see that you being bi doesn't change anything at all. Just think about how long it took you to accept yourself.

Best of luck :slight_smile: