1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay with Asperger's Syndrome and slowly approaching the coming out stage

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Just Passing, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Just Passing

Hello there. I have Asperger's Syndrome (Mild, but still a major part of my life) and am gay. Not sure if it's a common combination, but I thought I'd point it out. So my story with realising my sexuality is a rather long-ish one and perhaps tedious to read, but for the most part, I thought I might as well post it.

My grasp with sexuality first hit me around the time of puberty, like I'm guessing happens with most people. I thought I'd grow up fancying women, but it never really happened (though I tried to imagine the idea of being with a woman various times). I looked at them and adored them, but it wasn't sexually, it was only through the idea of them and they were for the most part, alien and mysterious to me, though as I've got older I've started getting on with them amazingly. Men on the other hand, I found myself utterly comfortable with from the very beginning and eventually started wondering what if I was gay and would it be a good feeling?

Now before I continue on, I was twelve, approaching thirteen at the time when I was having these thoughts. Just thought I'd mention it, in case it's vital for later on. :grin:

Anyway, I wanted to try to kiss a guy to see if it felt right. Around January 2005, two months prior to my thirteenth birthday, I did (and I'm not entirely pleased how I went through that method) and it felt wonderful. The other person didn't think so, but I couldn't give up this rare (and so far only) moment of love, even if it wasn't meaningful. Holding hands, kissing, it was definitely right yet at the same time, wrong. Whether it was because I wasn't exactly pleased with myself that I forced myself to explore myself this way and alienate someone I knew (though we're still friends) or because being gay was just not common place, I couldn't admit that I hadn't enjoyed it, because well I had.

Soon afterwards, I felt rather awkward and ashamed with myself. I couldn't possibly be gay, nor would I be allowed to (as I thought around the time), so I never said anything. Some time later however, I got found out by a close family member and was confronted about my sexuality and I came out and said I had an experience. It was one of the most terrifying moments of my life. I broke down and said it was a moment of weakness and that it would never happen again. And so I thought it would remain.

High school was terrible overall, in comparison to middle school. It was mainly because of the majority of the people I knew at the time were for the most part, immature and cruel, bordering on sadism. Sometimes, one of these insults would be that I would get would be that I was gay (just childish insults for the most part and I'm not sure if anyone actually thought I was). It did however make me feel bad and sometimes remember my previous experience.

It was back in high school, some time around my second and third years that I started wondering if I was gay again after my experience two years ago around that time and unoriginal "you're gay" insults. Though I never realised it at the time, I was more alive when I was with guys, usually trying to prove I was worthy of their time, where as with girls, I often felt distant and restricted. That if anything, probably stated that I was gay, but I was definitely ignorant at the time. It was strange too, because I thought around that time I'd either be straight or asexual (the latter of which I went with sometime near the end of my high school career) whilst having gay thoughts and fantasies on the quiet. Not once did I ever consider bisexuality and I have no idea why.

So around my GCSEs, I was definitely back in the gay zone, comfortable with the idea of fantasies, though still ashamed of myself like I was betraying some sort of fondations set for me. This continued on throughout my first half of college (a place I am totally in love with) until around the second half of my first year, I finally admitted to myself that I was gay. Granted, there are still times when I try and think I may possibly be straight, but that's just pure stupidity on my part. I feel more comfortable when I think of being gay and more alive. Now I desperately want to try and come out to the people I love most, so that if I have their support, I won't have to ever feel bad about being out as a gay man and not feel like I'm betraying their trust.

Which leads onto my current situation. Due to having Asperger's Syndrome, I sometimes can't open up to issues I have and this is the main one I have and have had for two or three years, since realising my sexual orientation. I have a slight fear of disappointing people and letting people think the worst of me. Now I doubt my family (who I love dearly and am grateful for their help over nineteen years) are homophobic, but I'm not sure that they would totally understand the concept of homosexuality in a family member. Add to that the fear of disappointment I think I would be giving and the experience I had last time when I was asked about being gay, both have kept me in the closet.

I now feel the need to tell the family members who have been my constant assistance throughout my life about myself and admit to them that I'm gay, as I can't keep it a secret any longer and I want to be honest to them, before I go out and explore myself further.

Apologies for the extremely long post and thanks to anyone and everyone who reads this thread, I very much appreciate it.

2. Just Passing

Actually, maybe this should be moved to the Support and Advice part of the forum, I'm not sure. :astonished:

3. TraceElement

I do not have Aspergers, but I do relate to you in reguards to opening up to aknowledging the issues I have, and I have problems expressing thoughts to others. You are not the only one dealing with these things. But, I think this is where I let the others with Aspergers give you more (and better) advice.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good to see another gay guy with Asperger's. :slight_smile:. Now basically the problem you're dealing with is trying to figure out how to open up about this stuff to another human being, which being Asperger's can be difficult (I myself was TOO open about it, so while I don't have the same experience I do know what you're talking about...I kept myself from my parents longer than I should have). I think the best thing you can do is just try to build up confidence to tell them. Whether this is you just consistently telling yourself "I'm going to tell them" over and over, or having some friends support you (though since you said no one knows yet, perhaps leave this one until after you've told a few people), or just write about it in a journal if you're a good writer. I think the thing here and the thing many of us with Asperger's (and many without too) is we don't have the confidence in ourselves to go through with the telling. But the fact is that because we often see the world a bit differently, we really have a lot of strength in us and just need to tap into it, and then there's nothing we can't do. I wish you a lot of luck and if you want to chat more, just PM me or write on my wall :slight_smile:

5. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heya and welcome =)

If it makes you feel better, you are not alone. I also have aspergers and am also not out to my family, and don't see that changing any time soon.

I have a couple of pieces of advice re: the not opening up to issues. I've always been the same, and i've found the only remedy is talking, thoroughly and deeply about yourself with someone you get along with; someone who is willing to listen and provide patience, understanding and perspective, in a relationship based on dependable and mutual trust and respect, and it helps as well if you maintain a ready willingness to be absolutely rigid to the principle of 'full disclosure'.

This is not always easy to get. There are a few options:

A) a close friend or family member you very much trust and are totally comfortable with (which can be bloody hard to come by)

B) a lover (which god knows are also bloody hard to come by), which basically amounts to just a friend as in option A, but a friend with whom you share trust and feel comfortable enough with to have physical relations with AS WELL as feeling relaxed baring yourself to.

C) professional help, in the form of a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist.

Whoever it is has to be willing to question you constantly and with depth.

I have the luck of having all three to help me out at the moment, but one would be enough to help a great deal more than having none at all.

As for C, i'm not sure of how difficult or easy it is to see a clinical psych for free. The government pays for sessions in australia, up to a point, after which you have to chip in. I'm not sure if this is the case in the UK as well as here, but i've heard that it seems to be a trend that psychiatrists are a bit more direct in the way they go about their treatment than clinical psychologists are. That could in fact be nonsense.

---------- Post added 23rd Jun 2011 at 02:10 AM ----------

If A, B and C turn out to be a pain in the arse to get access to, the internet can help =)

Feel free to throw me a wall post (or a PM once you become a full member) if you ever want to chat to someone!

#5 Pseudojim, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  6. Just Passing

Yeah I think whether or not you have Asperger's, expressing openess about this is difficult. Thanks for responding.

I feel bad for this, but I told a little lie in my opening post, I did actually tell a few too many people like yourself, but only friends and one relative. I kind of wish I hadn't done so now, but you learn these things.

But thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Ah Psuedojim, you're a bit of an inspiration to me on this forum. From what I've read of your posts, you're a great guy with some good thoughts in general (same goes to Revan) and it's a nice surprise to see you have the same condition.

I may consider option C at some point, but for now, I guess I'll just try and build up myself to eventually saying something.

Thanks again everyone, really appreciate the time you took to respond.

7. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well thank you =)

as for option C, it's naturally a very daunting and embarrassing prospect, but i can't recommend it highly enough. If i could go back in time i would have gone down that path yeeeaaaarrrs ago.

I don't know if you have as much trouble interpreting the reasons for your own emotions (and others', too) as i do, but if you do, then a psychologist/psychiatrist will be absolutely no end of help.

The first important thing to remember is that there is no shame whatsoever in it. It's not an admission of failure, and it's not a capitulation to pressure. Essentially, having psych counsel is just like making a new friend (but with different rules obviously).

The second important thing to remember is that even if you're not enjoying it, you can ALWAYS opt out of it and never go back.

The third important thing to remember is that even if you run into a counsellor you have no rapport with, that doesn't mean the whole concept is a failure. I saw a bad shrink years ago which put me off all shrinks for a long time. I wish it had never happened. Like i said, having psych counsel should be like spending time with a trusted friend. If you don't feel like you can be friendly and open with one, you should say so, leave, and try another.

On top of all that, it's strictly confidential =) no-one need ever know, if you want it that way.

Anyways, you could also decide that you don't need it, and if so, good for you =)

8. faultyat40

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Realise that this might be a bit of a late response but based on my experience:
    1) coming out is your choice not a requirement or rule
    2) come out when you are ready with each group of people, eg I was out at work way before I told my parents
    3) protect yourself - don't come out to someone you are not sure of, or until you think you can deal with a negative response.
    4) do not necessarily start with the people that matter most to you, unless you are sure of their response. Start with someone yo trust will be okay and supportive. Use their support to come out to more difficult people. EG a friend before parents, parents before gran parents, a girl friend before the boy you are in love with...